1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you prepare yourself when coming out to a friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lewis, May 12, 2012.

1. Lewis

It's not something I feel I could do right now, but I definitely want some friends to know before I consider telling any family members. I'll need plenty of supporting friends around me.

They'd all probably be fine with it, but the thought of telling them is really daunting. Is there anything I can do to prepare myself to come out? or make it seem less scary? I just want to feel like I can tell people and live my life! :thumbsup:

2. Fisnou

Well, this may seem obvious but think of what you would say, how you'd approach the topic. Think also of a setting in which you'd feel most comfortable (at night, in a pub, over drinks, etc.) but don't make it too formal. Try and make it casual so that it's not a big deal. So for example, you could be having a chat to a male friend about girls and he asks who you have a crush on or something and you say "well, actually, there's this guy..." or something. If you find it really hard to say the g word, just paraphrase and say "I like guys" or "I'm not really into girls". In short, go with what's most comfortable for you.
    If you do come out to a friend, make sure you keep us updated :slight_smile:

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

This - However may I advise coming out to girls first? They are generally much more accepting, infact a lot of my friends want to have gay friends, you'll find loads of girls love the idea of being able to be platonic friends forever with guys, quite a lot will therefore become more comfortable around you so it can alter relationships with girls for the better.

Of course with guys a lot of egotistical morons that aren't religious somehow think you being gay means you want them or will rape them or something stupid like that.

Just bare in mind that this isn't what usually happens but it's just statistical based, that in general girls will be more accepting. I haven't come across one person male or female that hasn't been accepting. Well, not anyone I know anyway.

4. Lewis

Thanks, both of you. I probably would do it whilst out drinking, as it would probably be a lot easier to say after a few drinks! I only have a couple of female friends, but my male friends are all quite accepting of another person that recently came out to them. I'd definitely be casual about it, I don't want it to be some big serious announcement.

I'll definitely keep you updated and again, thanks, I really appreciate both posts. :slight_smile:

5. RebelD

If you think your friend will be ok with it, just tell them. Don't think about it too much, that only causes stress and you might deside not to go through with it. Well, that is how it was for me. I have planned to tell a lot of people, but the one that I did tell, I didn't plan too much. Just said it.
    Good luck for the future. I'm sure you will do fine :icon_wink

6. Lewis