1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like a useless punching bag

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sesshomaru, May 12, 2012.

1. Sesshomaru

This is basically just a rant from me. Couldn't think of anyone/anywhere to vent this so I chose the place I always feel welcome at.

So as I'm sure almost everyone is aware of, tomorrow is Mother's Day. I just got off work and after listening to my mom whine and complain all day about how she wanted gifts this year from everyone for Mother's Day (and we're actually speaking again this year) I decided I'd be nice and get her a few gifts. I got her a bouquet of purple flowers (her favorite color), a tank top, and a card right before I left work. Well the bus from work was running late and I take two buses home which made me late for the second bus which connects about an hour away from our home. I called her to see if she would give me a ride home since it was an hour walk home and I didn't want the flowers I'd just bought her out of water so long since I know nothing about flowers and how long they can survive without water and all of that. Needless to say she didn't pick up, which she is known for just ignoring calls. Yet my grandma (who's constantly checking up on me) called my brother right afterwards and he said that him and my mom were sitting on the couch watching a basketball game. I ended up walking the entire walk home with her flowers and gifts and when I just got inside all she said was "Hey son" and went back to watching the game and laughing with whoever she was talking too (on the damn phone too). I just threw the gifts on the table and went to my room.

Now I'm sitting here typing this and almost wanting to cry. I've been doing my best to try to get along with everyone but this is my breaking point. I'm done trying to give our mother-son relationship another chance at working after everything she's put me through. I'm not going to even bother being spiteful, I'm just simply done with it. I had planned on walking in and going "Happy Mother's Day. Oh and that call you ignored was me calling to see if you could drive the 5 minutes from home to where my bus let me off at because I was carrying your freakin gifts home after a day of working but I guess that wasn't important enough to answer." There's not enough left in me for me to care about her enough to show any anger towards her at this point.

2. RealityCheck

My parents do/did stuff like that all the time. Now we mainly just talk sparingly and see each other mainly on holidays. Here is a shitty story for you. I have a younger half brother and we were extremely close growing up. He was born out of wedlock, but we kinda just assumed they would eventually get married. We had a great family. Then one day they stop seeing each other, but he continues to visit on the weekends so no problem. Next thing you know, out of no where my father gets remarried. Ok, fine, so my brother comes there to visit us on the weekends. Then all of a sudden there is a falling out between his new wife and my brother's mother so my brother stops coming over. He was like 5 or 6 and I was like 13. So my father is like one of the most kind hearted individuals you would ever meet. He is like a big teddy bear, and I can't for the life of me conceive of him not wanting to see his other son, but he has never seen him since and that has been 18 years or more now. I secretly keep in contact with my brother unknown to the rest of my family, but it is crazy. They live like 20 miles from each other. Oddly, without being around my father, he is EXACTLY like him in almost every way. I, on the other hand, struggle to find common interests between the two of us. No one in my family seems to know what happened between these two women that was so awful that it would prevent a son from seeing his father. My brother wants to know everything about his dad, so I try to tell him everything I know, but it's just sad. I don't understand a lot in this world, that is for sure. I hope your relationship gets better, but I suggest to live for yourself at least until you find people that want to reciprocate your efforts.

3. Eleanor Rigby

I'm sorry sweetheart (*hug*).
    I understand that you're angry. Maybe you should let her know how this made you feel when you'll have cool off a little. You can send her an e-mail or leave her a note if you don't want to talk with her face to face. Something like, "Mom, I tried to listen to you and I wanted to make mother's day special for you this year. But when I came home, I fell ignored ad if the game you were watching was more important for you than the efforts I made. It made me feeling sad and angry. I love you."
    I can't guarantee you how she will respond to something like that, but at least you can try.
    I hope things will get better with your mom.
    Take care (*hug*) Cécile

4. rx79g

I would definetly try talking to her about it, but if it doesn't go well are you planning to go to college? If so you can get out of that environment. Otherwise you could maye look at moving out. Just telling your mom that might snap her out of whatever she is in, or if not then you could at least be out of her influence. That's a really awful way for her to treat you. Best of luck (*hug*)

p.s. Sorry I realize that probably wasn't very helpful. Just know that we're here for you on EC

5. RebelD

I don't know the whole situation, but things like this often happen when people don't consider how the other feels. Maybe your mother doesn't realize she upset you, it might not have been deliberate. Tell her to see things from your perspective, but also try to see things from hers. I know you probably didn't want to hear this, its just that I've seen enough relationships fall apart for nothing, when something this simple could fix things.

Honestly hope things work out.
    D

6. Sesshomaru

I've tried telling her plenty of times that when she does things like this it really just irritates me and she really just doesn't care. It's come to the point before where recently she acknowledged that she treats me like crap and was fine with it. I don't know why I even kept trying, there just isn't any hope left for this.