1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To come out, or not to come out- that is the question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fireworks, May 13, 2012.

1. fireworks

fireworks Guest

I want to be completely open about my sexuality at school. Not like, announce-it-on-a-megaphone open, but you get me ^_^ my school isn't homophobic, and I'm not at all worried.
    HOWEVER.
    My family seems to think that I should not be open about it, because it would make me the only out,lesbian in the school. Personally that doesnt concern me, but I am beginning to wonder if it should.

Is being the only one really a problem?

2. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Word I'm in a pretty similar situation...our school environment is definitely non-homophobic (always promoting individualism, being yourself, etc etc) but at the same time I only know of 3 kids in our high school of 500 kids who are out (they're all bi, I don't know of a single gay student out).
    But there's always a first, right? Someone has to be that first gay student out- why not you? If it doesn't bother you, then it doesn't seem like a problem!

3. BudderMC

I think by being the only "out" person in your school, you automatically become the example everyone thinks of when someone says "that gay kid" or whatever. Basically, you end up being the "token gay kid", because nobody else has filled that role yet. And even though your school is accepting, if someone decides to start hating on gays for whatever reason, it gets directed to you by default.

But if it doesn't bother you, then that's what matters. :slight_smile:

4. unicornhorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you feel like your school is an environment where you can be out, and still safe and happy, there's not point in living a lie. However, you're still young- if you wanted to wait a couple years to make sure you're emotionally ready for any backlash, no harm in that. It's awesome you're out to your family, though, and they're just looking out for your best interests.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you feel safe to come out, I would recommend that you, especially if you have a fair number of straight ally friends.

Your coming out might make others feel safe to do so, and that would be a really positive thing.

6. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Thanks guys, yeah that's kinda what I thought, I just wanted yo see if you agreed.

What I am going to do is: tell all of my close friends gradually, and once that is out of the way, and once things have settled down with my mum, and once my brother has left school (so, probably around september might be a good time, or earlier), well, then we'll see ^_^