1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I doing? Bi in love with LD GF and straight roommate

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nola816, May 13, 2012.

1. nola816

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Let's start here ... I'm bi, have a long-distance girlfriend for 2+ years, and, now, have fell in love with my straight-male roommate.

I have a long relationship with my girlfriend. Before we started dating, we were co-workers and roommates. I moved away, and when I came back for a while without a job, we confided in each other and starting being together. She knew I was bi because of a couple of hookups I had with her co-worker prior to our dating. Instantly, she was open to who I was, but I had always warned her that my attraction to men could overtake our relationship.

My girlfriend and I have a very strong best-friend type relationship. The sex is really good, but I still prefer men for sex and, I THOUGHT, just women for real relationships.

Fast forward to when another job offer came. I left her in Missouri and I moved to New Orleans. We've been apart in geography for 2+ years. Our bond was still strong, but starting to hollow.

Against my better judgement, I continued to hook up with men while here in NOLA. Was never really excited about it, but did it anyway. I've made it known to her that I was doing this, and while it was a hurdle -- we've moved on.

I was living by myself, but an opportunity came to move in with a good male friend a few months ago. Cheaper rent was a plus and he had a girlfriend at the time. Moving in would mean that I would be less tempted to mess around because of access problems with free space and the guilt it would place on me because they know the GF.

Well, he broke up with the girl. And, since, the roommate and I started going out quite a bit. Drinking, hanging out, staying out and up late together. Over time, I started to grow very fond of my roommate. I started to confide in him in a lot of things. He the same to me.

Then, it started to become an obsession. What is he doing now? When he goes out, why wasn't I invited. Should I text him to see what's up? When he comes in late, I always wake up to see what he's up to. Quickly, it was becoming apparent, I was falling in love. He works in a big company and has lots of friends. I work for a small company and haven't had many other friends since moving, except for those he also works with. It's like a bad one-sided bromance because he has plenty of friends to fall back to. I don't.

The thoughts kept getting stronger and stronger. So, one night when we were up late listening to music and drinking -- I told him I was bi. My heart was racing, jumping out of my chest.

Him, being an awesome, understanding and open guy didn't think twice about it.

A couple days later, I told him my full story. And, told him that I had been acting a little more weird lately because I was obsessed with him. He was still very understanding and happy I told him, but I feel like I effed up our really good friendship. We're already not hanging out as much -- something feels awkward. I really want our friendship to continue to be strong, but, since I felt like a tag-along to begin with, I'm not sure what the barometer is to know his thoughts.

Meanwhile, I told my girlfriend all this as well. She's been a rock. She has been understanding. One point missing at this point is that we decided a couple months ago that she would move to NOLA by the end of July and we can finally start our life together.

So, I've over-complicated things. Not sure what my real thoughts are. My heart is pulled in two directions. In a perfect world, all of us could live together, but that's not possible. I think I'm just over-anxious and lonely and need my original best friend, my GF, to get down to NOLA as soon as possible before I go crazy. Thoughts?

2. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

So you're in 'love' with 2 people you can't have. One lives too far away, and is unavailable physically, and the other is unavailable emotionally. You just need to find someone to focus on who can return your feelings.

Straight crushes are fun for a while, but never good to have. They eventually sour and well things can get as they are now Awkward and emotional. You need some space.

3. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC.

My thoughts? Well, I honestly wonder if you're bi or if you're gay and don't want to admit it. While you've been in NOLA you've slept with other guys. Have you slept with other women? Because presumably you'd have been missing the sex with your girlfriend as much as with other guys if you're bi, right?

Now that you've realized that you could be in love with another man, and you prefer sex with men, doesn't that suggest that your relationship with your girlfriend is more of a convenience? It's comfortable? It allows you to keep one foot in the world of 'normal / straight' people? Do you want her in NOLA because you really miss her, or do you want her there to keep you from taking the next step, which would be actually enter into a relationship with a guy.

What if your room mate had admitted that he was bi as well, and that he had a thing for you too? Would you have broken it off withi your girlfriend? Do you think you'd have been happier and more complete with him than you are with your girlfriend? Because if that's the case, I think you need to really consider why you want to continue the relationship with your girlfriend.

Maybe I've read too much into your post. But it sounded familiar. It reminded me of me.