1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JUST curious...I pose an interesting question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by super confused, May 14, 2012.

1. super confused

Okay, I would have sexual intercourse with a woman, and I would do some stuff (preferably NOT involving a penis) with a guy, but would not have actual sexual intercourse with a guy, does that make me bi? Or does that make me gay?

NOTE: by "woman" and "guy" I mean someone who is BIOLOGICALLY female, and someone who is BIOLOGICALLY male, respectively.

Also note: I could fall in love with anyone, regardless of gender (pan-romantic).

Another thing to note: This question just occurred to me a few minutes ago, and I'm the kind of person who can't let things go even if I really don't care about them because they don't affect me. This is one of those things. Pure curiosity. And I'm a cat. So don't let it kill me. lol

Thanks in advance for the hot fire of truth. :slight_smile:

2. dreamcatcher

Hmm.. I'm not sure. There's nothing set in stone that to be gay you must be X amount attracted to women and have only y amount attraction to men. It just depends on you. I would say that if you have both sexual and romantic attraction to people of both sexes and can picture yourself with either one.. then you are bisexual. If you are romantically and sexually attracted to the same sex and can picture yourself with the same sex, then you should go with gay. If you just have romantic attraction to the opposite sex or just have sexual attraction to the opposite sex, then it makes no sense to me to identify as bisexual as you would probably be dissatisfied with the person of the opposite sex (unless, you're asexual then that's something else) But if you can deal with having romantic attraction to the opposite sex but not sexual attraction and viceversa, then label yourself whatever you want lol.

Regarding your not wanting to have anything to do with the penis, I would have to ask you why you feel that way to more or less say if you are gay or bi. If you're afraid of having sex with a man because of any issues you may have had in the past but find yourself romantically and sexually attracted to them then I would say you are bi. But if you don't like penis because you're just not interested in it or are not interested in hetero sex, then I guess you would be more on the gay side.

Obviously this is all conjecture so you know, don't think "Oh, well dreamcatcher said this so I must be gay!! Or I must be bisexual!!" Only you can determine your sexuality. Also you don't need a label immediately. You could just date whoever you're interested in and leave it at that until you sort it all out. But I figured I'd pitch in with some of my thought process and see if it helps you out. If I confused you more... sorry lol

Oh just to add to that... You could just always go with queer. Includes everything, so problem solved. :slight_smile: Or just stick with what you have.

#2 dreamcatcher, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  3. Atticus

Reverse all of what you said, and you have me. I have dated more girls than guys but have only been sexually attracted to men. You could identify as a lesbian, but still maintain being panromantic. I wouldn't worry about it honestly.

4. super confused

I guess my real question is: is it sexual attraction if I don't actually want to have sex with that person? Because there are guys I find attractive, even sexy (and I very rarely use that word). I've even kissed a few guys (and done some other stuff) and liked it... But I've NEVER wanted to have sex with a guy. So does that count as sexual attraction?

Also, I just don't think I could have hetero sex. It grosses me out on SO MANY LEVELS; YOU HAVE NO IDEA... well, considering where I am, maybe you do :grin:

5. dreamcatcher

I think that if you don't want to have sex with a guy.. then you're probably gay lol. Like you, I can find some guys attractive but it's not like I wanna do anything with them. I just think we notice good looking people since we all have eyes and can appreciate beauty. Also we've been conditioned to find a certain type of man attractive so there's that element to that. But if you don't wanna go below the belt, then I don't think you're bisexual, as I'm sure a bisexual person would have no problem with that, but of course that's just my opinion :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

lmao!! Well, I don't find hetero sex gross I'm just rather apathetic towards it. I guess if I tried it out it might be ok... (well maybe if I were drunk it would seem ok haha) but I'm just so uninterested in hetero sex and the male body/genitalia. I think I'm ok with just looking at a penis from my anatomy text book and leaving it at that. Besides, having sex with girls just seems so much better :lol:

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm the exact same way, though reversed (find both men and women attractive, but only find the idea of having sex with men attractive; romantically attracted to certain personalities regardless of sex; consider hetero sex to be disgusting, etc.).

A lot of people that think in ways such as "if this, then therefore you MUST be this" (like "you find men attractive, therefore you MUST have sex with them") seem to insist that such orientation patterns are impossible and claim I'm misunderstanding my own feelings. They can tell me that all they want, but it doesn't make it true...Anyways, to account for this I like to break sexual orientation down into three components:

- Romantic attraction: The sex/gender you seem romantically inclined toward.
    - Sexual attraction: The sex/gender you prefer sexually; i.e., who you would or would not be willing to have sex with.
    And - Physical attraction: What sex/gender you are visually attracted to. Who you find yourself staring at for no reason, admiration of physical attributes (figure, butts, breast area - whatever), what sex you would smile at for thinking they're cute. (Having a hard time with definition, but hopefully that makes sense).

By that plot you would seem to be: Sexually gay, Physically attracted to both sexes (this having nothing to do with sexual preference), and Panromantic (as you said). What term you'd want to give that is up to you.

Anyways, hope that helps even remotely :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#6 Browncoat, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  7. super confused

NAILED IT

THANK you. Thank you so much. That answers my question exactly. Now, I just need to figure out how to identify to the people I come out to. haha but I'm putting that in another thread entirely. This problem has been SOLVED.

8. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Labels are for clothing, items you buy at a shop, car prices, filing system.

It's not for human beings. Why label yourself? Why either this or that? Why not both? Maybe you are bi or pan. It doesn't really matter, does it. As long as you love that person and that person loves you back.

9. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I myself am panromantically gay, and I find that I could have the whole package with a girl, but wouldn't really want to have sex with a guy. I could have a romantic relationship with a guy, notice their looks and all, maybe kiss one or two, but the idea of f***ing a guy disgusts me. xD

So if you're just like me then you're probably a panromantic lesbian. However, it's really your choice and your label. You can't change who you're attracted to, but you can change what you want to label as. Heck, if you want to say "I'm straight but I like girls," then go for it!

10. super confused

I thought I made it pretty clear that I'm not going around trying to label myself. I'm trying to answer a question that occurred to me because if I don't, I will think about it until I get an answer or it drives me insane. Because I'm that kind of person. I can't help it, it's just how my brain works. Also, as long as I'm not labeling other people, what does it matter? Why do you care if I label myself? :eusa_eh: