1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medication & Therapy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ArcaneVerse, May 14, 2012.

1. ArcaneVerse

Gah...sigh I think I kind of just agreed to finally go on meds and get therapy and now I'm sorta freaking out...

I have a pretty severe anxiety disorder, depression and have been agoraphobic for a few years now. I've also always felt like I had something else wrong with me, I have no coping skills, or social skills, etc but yeah not really the point atm I guess

So on the one hand it could be a really good thing, might open up more opportunities for me like study, work, friends, a relationship and make me feel better in general but in saying that, all those things are scary and very stressful things for me.

On the other hand, the meds might fuck me over and therapy might not work for me or things might go very wrong later down the track and I don't really want to go through another semi emotional break down that started this whole thing and I know if things start to work and get better my parents are going to push me to do things I don't want to do or aren't ready for, like study, work, social things and you cant tell them anything.(they do the whole we know whats best bs that parents love oh so much, even though I'm 22)

The thing is I've done the therapy thing before a couple of times, though it was forced on me by my parents and I wasn't able or ready or willing to open up then and I don't know if I can make it work now. The meds don't scare me as much as they used to, was going to on them once before, side effects I can manage for the most part but I'm afraid that they wont work or wont be enough in the end.

I also have my brothers wedding sometime in the future and as best man that requires me to show up and do all the other duty's and what not, so that's a big incentive to get better but also another weight to bear.

Sigh...I dunno anymore...no real point to this thread btw, just a little bit of ventation...so, sorry about that but thanks for reading XD

Side note: has anyone ever gone on meds and had it help them accept their sexuality? just curious.

2. Mogget

In general, mental illness gets better with therapy and medication, and gets worse without it. Here on EC, we can't tell you whether therapy or medication are appropriate for you, that's a decision only a therapist and a psychiatrist can make. I would encourage you to seek out both.

By and large, anti-anxiety meds won't screw you up too much if you don't abuse them. And you may not need them. Again, a psychiatrist would know better than us, and you can always try therapy without medication first. I would strongly advise against medication without therapy.

3. ArcaneVerse

Thanks for the reply.

I know I probably need medication, I've always had anxiety issues even as a kid and it's now at a point where its way out of control and there is the depression as well. I trust my doctor who went to put me on them a few years ago and I know she wouldn't advise me taking them if it wasn't the best course of action.

I'm aware of the side effects that are common in the type of medication I would be on (Aropax, which is an SSRI antidepressant) but like I said im not too worried about them. I guess its just the change that worries me the most, as they say "the devil you know...".

Yeah as much as I hate the idea of therapy I know i'm going to have to do it one way or the other and I think with the medication would be best, as I'm hoping it will allow me to think more clearly and not let my anxiety get in the way of me opening up.

4. TraceElement

I know you said you have incentive to get better, but I have a question. Are you READY to get better?
    Like Mogget said, we can't say that one or the other is right for you. That's between you and your doctor, and I highly encourage you to go see your doctor.
    On a personal note though, I was put on meds and am in therapy, and the combo is getting me back on the right track.

5. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If I were you I'd try therapy without medication, but you'll have to figure out what works for you.

6. ArcaneVerse

I honestly don't know. I'm in a more of a stable place atm where I think I could handle it, even though the depression and anxiety is all still the same if not worse. I mean in the past I haven't wanted to get better, it didn't matter to me that I was missing out on things and not experiencing life but now I want things, I don't want to continue to be the way I am.

I just don't know if I can handle all the changes and life in general. I guess that's what therapy is for though, right? to help me deal with things but I don't think it will be enough in the end.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

7. TraceElement

From what you said, I understand it as you aren't happy where you are in life, but are scared about the "what if's" in making changes.
    The wonderful thing with therapy is, is the fact as you can work on stuff at your pace. One thing at a time. Remember, you may take 2 steps forward and one back, you are still in a better place.