1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for romance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by amychan12, May 15, 2012.

1. amychan12

Ok I found out I might be a lesbian and I know more and more each day that I might be but how would I go about finding a woman who is a lesbian I don't like online dating any advice:confused:

2. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

You should make sure that you are reasonably sure of what your sexual orientation is before dating someone. You don't have to be 100% certain, and it sounds like you're moving past the questioning phase anyways, but it is still worth mentioning.

I would recommend looking for local LGBTQ groups. This will both help you become more certain of what your orientation is and allow you to meet potential partners. If you're still in college this will be especially easy, since most universities will have at least one such group on campus, but even if you aren't most medium-sized cities should have at least one or two. Many also have resource centers which could help point you in the right direction. Googling the name of the nearest major city plus LGBT (or some variation thereof) should yield some results.

It also becomes easier to find other lesbians or bi women once you're out. The best way to find a partner, whether of the same sex or opposite sex, who is compatible with you is to simply do the things you like to do while trying to meet new people. Odds are you will run into LGBTQ people. If they know that you're also LGBTQ, then they will probably be more inclined to come out to you.

3. amychan12

Yeah I think I'm slowly moving put of the phase it's confusing but I want to know who i am and work from there the groups sounds like a good idea:grin:

4. amychan12

I looked on Google and I can't find any lgbt groups near me

5. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I know Florida's population isn't spread out very evenly and large parts are miles away from anything interesting. Can you get to the nearest major town, even if it is somewhat far away? It looks like Tallahassee, Jacksonville, and Orlando definitely have something, and I imagine Miami and Tampa do, too. You may not be able to go often, but even once or twice a month will help.

6. amychan12

The problem is I live in south Florida and I'm to far from the those locations plus my dad wouldn't want to use the gas in our car to go that far:icon_sad:

7. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Sounds like you're in a pretty tough situation, then. There are two main things you can still do: come out and get involved in online communities. Even if as few as 10,000 people live within an acceptable distance, there should still be well over 100 lesbians and bisexual women. If you're out, then it will be easier to meet them. However, you shouldn't rush it; only come out when you're ready.

You already said that you don't want to do online dating, but there are other ways to meet people online. Do you have any hobbies? Look for a forum online that discusses them. If you're out on the forum, you should find other LGBT people relatively easily. It's not a great way to meet potential partners, but when you live far away from anything, it's hard for even straight people to find others to date.

Sorry if I haven't been too helpful. Hopefully someone else will have something to add.

8. Ianthe

When you googled, what did you enter? Did you look in your local town only, or in the county? What terms did you search for?

Your info says you are out to family only. Does that include your dad?

9. amychan12

I typed my town and lgbt groups in the area and yes I have told my dad

10. Ianthe

Try the name of the county and "lesbian."

How did your dad and your family respond to your coming out?

11. amychan12

Very well the only one i haven't told is one of my brothers