1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going nuts in this place

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jtmc18, May 16, 2012.

1. jtmc18

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've posted here a couple of times now- it seems this is my only outlet. I'm living and working in a remote area for the summer and feel that I have nowhere to turn. I've had a crush on a guy for months- and by coincidence we're both working together this summer. I've been trying to make friends and forget about him, and I've opened up to several people, but I feel extremely alone. Two of my female roommates aren't getting along and I got drug into the middle of a disagreement- and wound up feeling alienated from both of them. There are a few other gay people around I've asked if I could talk to, but they haven't been receptive. And what's worse, my crush is giving me the cold shoulder. Ironically enough, he told me that I should seek out other people to confide in- some of whom are his friends from previous summers- but these same people have not turned out to be more than acquaintances. This job lasts until September and I am going crazy. I am at the lowest point of my life. I want to build a support network, but I feel like I'm sinking further into a hole. I don't have a single friend here that I can talk to- my crush served that purpose for a while, but he's drifting away. I'm handling a stressful job in a remote place, no real friends to confide in, trying to understand my sexuality and come out, and get over rejection. It's too much. How have others coped with this sort of thing? My options seem so limited here. I'm desperate.

2. Jim1454

That doesn't sound like much fun. And September is a long way away.

But I'm also someone who truly believes that situations are what you make them. We all have far more influence on our mood and our attitude than we sometimes think.

By the tone of your post, you see things as bleak and dismal and a lost cause. Pretty negative. Nobody wants to hang out with people with that kind of attitude. Would you? So while it sounds stupid and condescending, turn that frown upside down. Put on a happy face, forget about some of your troubles, and try to have some fun. Be the person that people want to hang out with, not the person that people avoid because all you do is lament about how crappy things are going...

I'm not sure how you do that. What goes on in this remote place that you're in? Card games? Softball games? Trips into town? Be the person that initiates some of these things. DON'T make your topics of conversation center around your orientation, or how down you are. Center the conversations around other people, what you like about them, what kind of fun things you could be doing as a group.

You need to make the best of this situation, so how are you going to do that?