1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hinting

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by brandyfan02, May 16, 2012.

1. brandyfan02

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I haven't come out to my parents yet... & while I'm ready for the personal sense of freedom I will feel after I tell them & the dust settles, I can't seem to find it in me to tell them, I don't know how to go about it, etc. I have resorted to leaving hints (with varying degrees of subtlety) such as changing my phone wallpaper to a rainbow image (I do actually like this particular image...), listening to music with gay subject matter, & watching TV shows with gay-related story lines with them in hopes that they might bring up the subject themselves or even ask me. They're so hard to feel out though, one minute expressing sympathy for the wounded boyfriend of the male TV character, the next avoiding the word "gay" & placing a something-stinks face in its place. I know I need to just tell them, but... has anyone else ever tried this? To any success?

2. julia

I've just recently came out to my parents and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I'm so, so glad I did. I just started with, "I like girls", once I said that so bluntly it was easier to talk about my sexuality out loud.

If you don't feel like telling them out loud yet, you could write a letter to them, I've been a bunch of EC members do this and it seems to work out well.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. King

King Guest

I'm kind of doing this with my sister, mainly because I don't wanna say the actual words but want her to know. I listen to the music I want (Marina & the Diamonds, The Saturdays, Cheryl Cole... etc.) which is typically more "feminine" music, as before I openly listened to this stuff, she would say stuff like "ur zo gey omg", but once I started telling her about how much I loved that kind of music, she shut her mouth... You know why? Because even as my siblings, it's a real ballsy thing to ask somebody, if they're gay or not.
    Point being, I highly doubt your parents will flat out ask you regardless of what you do. They might think you are, or they might have even come to terms with it - but until you actually say it, it isn't a fact. Good luck x

4. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it's less stressful for everyone if you tell them bluntly instead of hinting. It's fine to watch movies about gay people and so on, but talking is a more reliable method of communicating.