1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too lazy to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sayu, May 16, 2012.

1. Sayu

I want to come out to my brother. I know he will be completely fine with it and he lives far away, so I would tell him through mail or Skype which I don't consider very hard. I am not scared of coming out to him at all. So why haven't I done it yet? Few minutes ago we had a nice, long Skype call, but my grandparents were also speaking to him, so I didn't want to come out in front of them. But now I could simply write him that I like girls, no problem. So why don't I just do it? Am I too lazy? :dry: Has this happened to any of you? :help:

2. super confused

It has nothing to do with being lazy, let me assure you. Even when I know for a fact that the person will not judge me for it, and will accept me completely, I always get jitters when I'm about to come out to someone; I always have that hesitation. If you're not ready, it's simply because you're not ready!

For your orientation, I noticed that you have it listed as "one thing I know for sure - I'm not straight." Until you know what you are as opposed to what you are not, you may not want to come out, because until then, you may be incapable of fielding the questions that often come with the territory of coming out to someone.

Don't rush yourself. Just give it time, and when you're sure, and when you're ready, you'll be able to do it. And (trust me) it's better to come out with confidence and conviction. Another added bonus to knowing your "label" with surety is that you are less likely to get the old "Are you sure?/How do you know?"

3. King

King Guest

It's not laziness, that much I can say! I'm in the same situation with my sister. I know she'd be okay with my being gay. She would probably embrace it too much. But for some reason, I just can't.
    I think that in some ways, telling a brother you're a lesbian (or bisexual, or just not straight) would be easier just because boys are typically more approving of lesbians/bisexuals/not straight girls. Don't stress. You know he'll be okay with it :slight_smile:
    I'd sound like a hypocrite saying just go for it, since I won't... But go for it! :icon_bigg