1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in love with my best friend and I can't tell if he's straight or not...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RedPanda, May 16, 2012.

1. RedPanda

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey guys. Before I go on about my situation, I would like to talk a little bit about myself. I'm a 15 year old Korean sophomore in high school. I live in Cali and I keep a straight face on everywhere I go and I have never felt this way for a guy ever. I'm popular in many other schools in different cities and I'm known to be one of the "attractive" people. I date girls and for one of them I've been completely obsessed with for a long time. My father is a very religious man and I hate the fact that I am let's say "gay."

Now, back to the matter at hand. For 4 years I've known him but until recently about a month ago I started to have feelings for him. 5 weeks ago he treated me out to lunch. This is when we actually got "close." For the years I've known him I only saw him as a really funny guy in our social circle. Anyways, after the lunch we had, we started doing everything together. Without the other guys. We would go to each others house to hang out and play games, we went to watch The Avengers recently (great movie), we had sleepovers and slept in the same bed, we tell each other everything. We act SUPER GAY around with each other which...is what throws me off and since we are always together, people see us and joke around saying we're gay and that he's my boyfriend and to surprisingly he responds saying that he is. We haha uhhhh hold hands when few people are around in public but just as a joke. We take hundreds of pictures together...he sorta made one of my gay side come out. We lay on each other's lap or shoulder and we just watch TV or ask each other how our day's been going.

He's also Korean and a few months older then me. He's actually quite popular too and he's got the most sexiest voice ever :bang:. He's got a nice body :bang: but he act's really feminine sometimes. He's paranoid about his hair so much it get's kinda funny (this is when I tell him he's perfect the way he is) and he get's more and more beautiful in my eyes everyday :bang: :bang: :bang:.

This is what kills me though. His family oh man there EXTREMELY religious. He never gets mad at me but whenever we talk about homosexuality...he defends it with the word of the bible saying it's a choice and that it's wrong and he looks like he wants to sock me for supporting it. As I start to love him more and more, it kills me to see him touch other guys in a jokingly way of course and lately we've been getting into fights third of the time being my fault because of my jealousy. He tells me in the most sincere way to tell him if he does anything wrong but I tell him I can't because I don't want to be a bad friend and stop him from playing around with other guys or doing things that really shouldn't bother a friend...unless he's gay for you... we make up and everytime we do we get gayer haha and he always says sorry first... :eusa_doh:.

I believe in god but I've always found guys attractive since I was in 1st grade... that can't be a choice right?!?! I love him so much and we're gonna be with each other for the next 2 years. He tells me I'm the only one for him :confused: and we joke around saying we're only gonna be gay with each other til college. It's the fact that he's so religious that I know he's not gay but...I don't know.

Thank you for reading all this...it took me 40minutes to write this so...please give me some advice and I would love to hear how it went if you ever told your best friend how you felt about them.

#1 RedPanda, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Seeing the title, I was going to just type, "Ask him."

After reading your post, I don't think you have to ask him to know that he is gay. He may or may not be homophobic, he may or may not be in denial, but he's definitely not straight.

As for what to do about it, what with the religion and him pretending he's only joking, I really don't know. Being gay is certainly not a choice. I guess you could just go on being gay with him, joke around and say it's only until you get to college, and when you do get to college see whether he's ready to talk about it honestly.
    Alternatively, you could outright tell him that you're gay and you have no choice in the matter, but say he can consider himself to be whatever he wants.

3. NemesisPrime

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being the logical person I am I have to say if he's willing say he's gay and pretty much does everything that would qualify as being gay. HE'S GAY.

The fact he doesn't put a name on it is a definition without a distinction. If he were trying to attract girls by acting gay, that's different but he obviously is gay.

He might think it's a phase like I did but it's not It's locked and cannot be changed. It's not like after high school poof your into girls it doesn't work like that.

He may not admit because of his overly religious and him saying it's a sin might just be a front to hide his feelings for you.

I suggest a Wait-And-See approach. Play along for now.

4. Brenny

This seems to happen a lot. And often times we simply mistake others as being gay or even if we are correct, they can be in extreme denial. My advice is that if you want anything further, you have to say something or ask him if he is gay, etc. But there is always the possibility that it will change things for the worse or he will distance himself. Normally I would say that I think this guy is most likely gay but honestly, I have seen this happen where you become SURE they are gay and then they say they aren't and it falls apart.

I don't mean to scare you about it but you can either make a move, or let things naturally play out and not push it or you can drop it and not force anything. I would give it more time either way. Just be friends for a while and see where things go. It always makes things better. Whether you date or not, a stronger friendship is a good thing.

5. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all Gay isn't a life style, neither is it a choice. you either born that way or your not. as for different phases, well yes I too though it was a phase back in school. look at me now, 12 years after school and I'm married a guy. if it was or is a phase... then it must be the longest phase in the history of the human history

As for the bible there are several different references to gay relationships, none of which was condemned. King David was gay before he became a king. he had a sexual relation with his best friend. there are quite a few examples like this.

6. adam88

You (or him) could be bi, you know. :slight_smile:

7. cscipio

This.

If I wasn't responding from a phone, I'd give a rebuttal to the "obviously he's gay" sentiment. For the OP, don't get me wrong, I hope you both get what you want from each other. But all the speculation often does is disappoint you.

8. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also this. It may just be better to wait a little bit. This happened to me slightly. It wasn't my crush (because he was a guy and I like girls) but I was almost sure that one of my male friends were gay. They weren't. :icon_redf

If you're feeling really confident, maybe try making a move or asking him if he's gay? However, it might just be better to wait it out and see how things go.

To me it sounds like he's pretty much gay, but remember, you can only be sure someone's gay when they actually say, "I'm gay."

9. RedPanda

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you guys for the reply! I feel like I'm not too lost into what I should do. I'll be waiting it out although it kills me to see him joke around with my other friends :frowning2:. Thank you people!

10. insidehappy

in a perfect world this guy would be gay. sure he does all the "gay stuff" and the "gay signs" are there but i'm sure there are countless number of people here that will tell you that they thought someone was gay and it later came out that they were not or maybe they were in denial. do not get your hopes up. the best thing to do is feel him out. its clear that he is curious about being gay but his religious views (or those of his parents) would probably prevent anything from actually really happening. if you feel comfortable enough with him, maybe you could ask him a hypothetical question...."hey dude, we play around a lot, hypothetically what you do if i actually started to have feeling for you? would that weird you out?". or you can turn the same question back on him, "hey dude, we play around alot and its fun, but let's just say hypothetically if u started having real feelings for me would you feel comfortable enough to tell me or would you feel weirded out?" either way it starts the conversation without ever saying you are gay or he is gay. good luck. keep in mind the fact that he adamantly uses religion to say being gay is not right but at the same time holds your hand, cuddles with you and acts like your boyfriend....we'll it kinda shows that he is confused and that even if you find out he is gay, having a relationship with him may be hard if he is not ready to accept it.

#10 insidehappy, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  11. RedPanda

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    thanks for giving me a meaningful answer. At this point I decided to give up and cut off all the things we do together. I think the best thing to do now is concentrate on school and find someone in college ^^ thanks