1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell ...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by imdatguy, May 17, 2012.

1. imdatguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have had a crush on this guy in my english class for a while and lately weve been talking more and hes sending me messages asking if i wanna hang with him but im not shure if hes gay because something about him makes me think he is but the other day he asked for my cousins number and asks me if i think certain girls are hot so i doubt it but does anyone have any ways of telling if a guy is gay or if he is interested in you ?

2. Ianthe

Hi! Welcome to Empty Closets!

Since he's trying to make friends with you, let him. When you feel you can trust him enough, come out to him.

If he's gay, and at all comfortable with it, he'll come out to you. Or at least, that's your best shot.

If you really must, after you come out to him, you can ask him, gently and privately, if he's ever had feelings for guys. But only AFTER you've told him about you--otherwise it's really rude.

Even if he isn't gay, it's always good to have more friends, right? So, why don't you just cooperate with him making friends with you, for now.

3. Lad123

Umm well there are usually 'signs' but they are not that accurate though... well you can start off with the usual gay stereotypes like the lisp, limp wrist, effeminate behaviour. I've probably made some people mad by saying that but they are of course stereotypes and it does not mean that he is gay if he does have these qualities.

You can look for who he checks out, like does he tend to look at girls or boys often? I've also noticed that gay people dislike sports (but some do like it). See whether he holds eye contact with you longer than what a normal person would do since it could mean he is attracted to you. When you guys talk, does he become more 'excited' to be around you like having raised eyebrows or laughing at everything you say? Oh and does he smile a lot when around you? These are also indicators of attraction.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. Unless he knows that you're gay (and I'm assuming he doesn't), there isn't really a polite way to grill him on it. :slight_smile:

So, tell him you want to hang out, and see where it goes. Don't set yourself up to expect the ideal, but who knows what will happen?

5. JGreene

all i can say is really feel out the situation before you act on your feelings. unfortunately many straight, especially young, boys are not accepting of others homosexuality, especially those that he calls a close friend. that being said it may work out you just dont know. but at this point i would allow him to make a move before you go and tell him or ask him about himself. it might be best not to take my advice on this as ive had a moderately unpleasent views of my homosexuality over the years that has left me on the cautious end of letting straight people know of my homosexuality

6. Jon56

Sounds like you should wait it out, considering he has already asked you to hang out. Like others have said, be cautious so that your hopes aren't let down if he turns out to be straight (but at least you will have a new friend!)

7. imdatguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is there anything that i could ask him without making it obvious that im trying to find out if hes gay?

8. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Wanna go for coffee ?? i said it n it worked