1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's everyone's methods of cheering people up?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by addie88, May 18, 2012.

1. addie88

What's your default way of trying to make someone feel better when they're sad? I feel like I run out of things to say really quickly...my girlfriend is feeling pretty low right now and it's frustrating that I can't make her smile. Then again she's really good at being moody.

2. Jon56

I personally use humor. I don't like taking a lot of stuff too seriously so I usually just make jokes about it... unfortunately that doesn't go over very well in some situations and likely won't in yours. I'd say just make sure you are there for her and maybe go do something fun outside like going for a walk or a hike or something

3. Calico

I tell them it'll get better (and then list all the ways the situation will improve) and then use humour to cheer them up once they're not so teary.

4. Dominic

Dominic Guest

Tell them everything that's going on in my life, but put a funny twist on it. Basically use humor. :slight_smile:

5. piratealisonnn

I tend to try to change the subject to something more positive and light-hearted. That is, after they're done venting about whatever is bugging them.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I think they need to talk then I just listen and try and help. If its not something they want to talk about I use humour or try and keep them busy try and think of fun things to do, even if they are a little silly. If it was my girlfriend I would give her lots of cuddles and stuff.

7. brocub

It depends on my relationship with them. If it's an acquaintance or friend I'm not so close with, I'll just do something to make them laugh like make faces or dance around awkwardly. If it's a really close friend, talk with them heart to heart and help them through their issues. Also hugs if they feel up to it. Hugs rock.

8. Young Anonymous

Depends on what it is, if they're just having a bad day then just distract them from it and make them laugh. If it's something serious then you should have a serious talk with them.

9. aeva

I find that just being there and holding them, stroking their back or their hair can be really soothing to a lot of people. Until they calm down, most people aren't really capable of taking in anything you have to say, they just need to let the emotions flow until they can gather their thoughts. Most people actually have an adverse reaction if they're forced into talking about the problem before they are ready.

When they do feel ready to talk, I calmly go through the logic of why they are feeling that way, and what the next steps are, making sure to revert to the soothing if they get too worked up.

10. Prettybi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I ll play with my nipples n do this stupid sexual austin powers kind of moves gets them everytime just think of the most ridiculous bootleg sexual teasing n do it in front no one every status mad at me long ever

11. Oblivion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like most of the other comments, I use humor. I also hug them and try to understand why they're sad and make them see the positives. If that fails, I send them youtube links of songs telling them I care or to try and make them laugh.

12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I follow the advice of one of my friends:

'You're not going to help in this situation, Joe, now be quiet and get some tissues or something'

13. Michaelisopen

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think just listening. Then when they are done crying or ranting, tell a small joke. Repeat as necessary. So basically what everyone is saying...