1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some good ways to start a conversation with a guy??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hahalookatmenow, May 18, 2012.

1. hahalookatmenow

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    There's this guy I want to get to know in my high school, but I always find myself afraid to talk to him :dry: and what sucks the most is, he is only in one of my class periods so I only have one opportunity to talk to him each day.. My reasoning for trying to get to know him/be his friend is because I think he's gay/bi and he's seems like a genuine/cool person :icon_wink . We only talk on occasions, and its simple things like "do you have this work?" Or "did you do this?" .. with only a few weeks left in school I kno we won't become the best of friends , but by the end of the year I want to atleast be able to communicate with him easy. what are some good conversation starters? I don't want to come off as gay/stalkerish(because he may be straight) , so I want to avoid saying things like "hey", "wassup" because we barley kno eachother.

2. Stormy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't really have any advice for you but I have a fun story. When I was in high school there was this guy who I had classes with during senior year that I had a massive crush on. I loved everything about his personality. He was smart. He was witty. I was jealous of how outgoing he was. We liked the same music. We liked the same movies. We even had the same taste in art. But I never made much of an effort to become friends with him because 1) I'm shy and awkward around new people and 2) I melted into a gay little puddle every time he was near. And since I was closeted, I was obviously going to make every effort possible to hide the fact that this guy made my knees weak.

So fast forward a year and I'm looking on Facebook, just seeing what some of the people I went to school with have been up to. I look at his profile and guess what? Not only do we have a ridiculous amount of stuff in common but he's also gay! I have no idea if he was out in high school or not but he is now. Now, I obviously don't believe that if I had made an effort to become friends with him we would have automatically turned into some magic fairy-tale couple. And for all I know. He might not have even found me attractive. But since I didn't socialize with him more I'll never know. So uhh yeah... if you think someone might make a good friend it's probably a good idea to make some effort in getting to know them.

3. Ianthe

You are way overthinking this. Saying "hey" will not come off stalkerish. You only feel like that because you like him. (You think you will seem like you have ulterior motives because you DO have them.) Actually, just striking up conversation is completely normal and friendly. You will just seem like you are trying to make friends with him, which is not offensive to anyone in any way.

Just chat with him more, and then invite him to do something. It's not weird to invite people to do things, people do that all the time.

People are not offended when you are friendly toward them and act like you think they are cool. People like other people thinking they are cool. He's not going to presume that your interest is romantic unless you do something to make him think so.

You feel nervous about talking to him. But it isn't that he'll actually have any kind of problem with it. The nervousness is all you.

4. hahalookatmenow

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning