1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Christians?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jinx, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Jinx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Having just come to terms with my sexuality, I am now coming to terms with being a Lesbian Christian. I am very involved in my church. I teach Sunday school and am involved in Bible studies. I even teach at a Christian school. I have no plans of coming out at work because I know I could lose my job. Which is sad but true. I don't really have any plans to come out at church. As much as I would love too since most of my close friends go to church with me, I'm worried they will try to change me. I don't know what to do. is anyone else on here Christian who understands where I am coming from or has any advice? I don't want to hide who I am. It has taken me 23 years to understand and fully accept who I am and I don't want to hide it any more. But I also don't want to risk my job and my friends. I'm just confused and unsure as to what to do.

2. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What denomination are you? I was Roman catholic all my life (until i became Deist) and the church doesn't deny gays from service, or even denying their help with activities. I'm sure if they are your friends they will not kick you out of church activities. Although, i am not too sure of Alaskan views on homosexuality. Scranton PA has been a somewhat tolerant area, and churches here are always looking for followers; no matter who they are.

3. Wired106

Hey Jinx, I would personally keep it to myself if you really think it can mess up your job and life with friends, because that IS your life your talking about that supports to, if you know what I mean. If for some reason it gets out and messes up your job it can really turn into a bigger problem. I would instead, tell a really close friend that isn't part of your church or maybe that is but your positive that he/she won't tell anyone, and then try working from there and seeing your options after your out to one person.

4. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I'm a christian and never want to tell anybody there about me,just so I don't get any weird looks.

I could see some parents not happy with who you are and might have some influence on who they want teaching their children.Just a thought.

5. step49x

I'm part of the Christian Reformed denomination. My paster seems somewhat supportive of homosexuals (he preached a sermon on it, i have a copy if anyone wants to listen). I'm not sure how supportive the rest of the congregation would be, though. As far as I know, we don't have any openly gay people at my church.

6. jroakwood

i dont think most christian denominations will kick someone out of a church for being gay anymore these days, but as for being a teacher at a christian school...
    i dunno.
    im a christian, and ive come to terms with being both, it definately doesnt have to be a one or the other kind of deal.
    i hope to be fully out, including at church, someday.

im sorry im not more help to you... i know its a difficult situation.
    do what your heart tells you i guess.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think the kind of church you attend is definitely a defining factor on whether you should come out to them or not. I was told I could not be a Christian and support same-sex marriage in the church I attended for 17 years. I agree with wired106 that coming out to somebody away from the church or job might be a good start.

8. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my case, I've just started going to a different church. I've beeng going to Unitarian Universalist meetings. Also, the United Church of Christ is supposedly very accepting. I've found that I can be spiritually fed and be myself at the same time in places like this. However, it sounds like you have strong ties to your church, so I can understand if changing churches isn't an option.

But just remember that your spirituality and being able to be who you are is more important than what someone else has to say about it. You can be both, and you should be able to live as a Christian and as a lesbian and not have to hide either if you don't want to.

9. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

im episcopal and my church is chill with the fact that I am gay, everyone is just really supportive. I think that when I grow up I might join the congregationalist church though--- I went with my boyfriend to a service at a local congregational church where the pastor is a lesbian, and it was awesome!

10. waitingsucks

I'm a christian gay. I'm go to a catholic school and church where it is not really accepted. If you want to come out to some one, test the waters so to speak, If they're homophobic than certainly don't come out to them b/c that could risk you losing your job. If you want to stay with a church that maybe doesn't accept gays than only come out to people who you completely trust, someone who won't out you and someone who is pro-gay and weon't try to change you. Well done on coming to terms with your sexuality! :slight_smile:

11. nisomer

Like many have said, I think it depends on the church....Talk to the head of the church on some gay issues and see how it plays out. If he seems supportive, then I'd think you would be okay coming out. If you ask about gay marriage, don't think too much about it if they say they don't support it. There are many people who support gays and gay rights who just don't support marriage.

I am not christian, but I do go to a Roman Catholic University and am out. There are a lot of conservatives catholics there, and they mostly seem to be okay with me being gay and gays in general. Some DO say homosexuality is a sin, yet they say to love thy sinner as well. We get in large debates sometimes on a lot of issues, but in the end, we respect each other.

12. Alex89

It's difficult to tell with so many different denominations, each with slight variations on the more controversial beliefs (including homosexuality).

I remember a few years ago there was a huge fuss across the news when the Uniting Church of Australia had their first (openly) gay minister of a church.