1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(This isn't anything about LGBT anything) Just friendship.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Maialuna, May 19, 2012.

1. Maialuna

There's a girl I've been friends with since kindergarten. We haven't gone to the same school in a long time, but we still stay in touch and I still consider her my best friend, and she's said the same of me.

Lately, however, I feel really forgotten about. She's a very social being, unlike myself, and always seems to have plans with friends (most/all of whom I know and like). I never find out about these plans unless I call her recently before or during. A lot of the time I only find out that they happened afterwards. She never excludes me from them, as in telling me I can't come or anything, but I'm never invited unless it's to big things like her birthday party.

I sent her a message about this, and she seemed to completely understand, and apologized, etc.

Today I went to somewhere her parents were working to see her along with my girlfriend and some other people, and I assumed she'd be there. I didn't say I was coming, because usually she's just always there. She actually was somewhere else with friends (who she'd invited) where I couldn't go that day. I called her with no answer, and her dad texted her. I'm not sure if he said I was there, but I'm assuming he did. She never came or called back. I was there for about 2 and a half hours. My girlfriend did come, but when she did I had to leave soon. I hung out with my friend's parents and my dad was there, so it wasn't like it was a waste of time.

I just felt so lonely and ignored and forgotten. I really thought that after I wrote her she would invite me to things and make more of an effort to see me, but... no? Any advice, thoughts, opinions on this?

Thank you.:icon_sad:

2. People naturally separate with time and distance. I think it's expected if two people go to different schools. You can try to lessen these effects by asking her and inviting her to places yourself--making plans with her. I don't think you can expect her to be somewhere just because you think she'd be there. It's fine that she has other friends, and it's sad that she's allowed distance to grow between you two. But unless you actively seek her company and make plans with her, you're allowing the distance to grow, too.

3. InkStain

InkStain Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello there. I can completely relate to this situation, as I've had it happen with one of my closest friends in past.

It is very difficult when a good friend goes to another school, and naturally there is going to be some distancing just because of the situation. But I do think that these things can be worked out and overcome. What I did with my friend was just to meet with her face to face, and tell her how I was feeling.

Just in a nice way, let her now that you've been missing her and feel a bit left out. Talking and communicating is the key. Also, you could try inviting her to go hang with you sometimes. Don't always rely on the other person to initiate doing things.

I hope that helps. :slight_smile: Good luck!

4. Maialuna

I never plan anything with anyone. I'm always either in classes or doing homework or practicing things or working. I kind of fail at having a social life. I just don't have time to plan things because I have things to do every day of the week. Probably a large part of the problem... She may just expect that I can't do anything.
    It's weird, I don't feel like we really have any other type of disconnect besides this.

---------- Post added 19th May 2012 at 08:02 PM ----------

I'm horrible about planning things with other people, I'm really busy. I only try to see other people if they communicate an interest in seeing me. I will try to talk to her in person, thank you. When it's summer I'll hopefully be able to plan things with her. Or anyone, for that matter. *sigh" Why are social lives so much harder to maintain than any other aspects of things? Like school. And books. Even circus arts. *facepalm* People are confusing. Maybe I'm just socially inept. Sorry, this isn't even on topic. I'm just getting uselessness on my keyboard. Thank you, it is helpful advice.