1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The single-handed, one thing I HATE about being home...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BudderMC, May 19, 2012.

1. BudderMC

...is that NOBODY LISTENS.

ARGH.

I'm venting. I really really really need to. So sorry about that. I just spent the day with my family doing family stuff, which is all well and good. But my mom and brother have this rather large misconception that EVERYTHING I say when having a discussion with them is me "arguing". And this is not a new thing; it happens nearly every time. There are points where I'm lucky to get two sentences in (regardless of the goddamned content, even if it ISN'T related) before I get told to "stop arguing". Sorry, what?!

NO. JUST NO. I am NOT arguing just because I disagree with you! Hell, even when I DO agree with you you think I'm arguing! Am I not allowed to have an opinion? Am I not allowed to talk without being censored? Can I not have a friendly discussion like I'd have with my friends, or you with yours? I could understand if I was being really rude or harsh or blunt, but the vast majority of the time I'm JUST TALKING. And when I am doing the above, then I'll usually own up to it and apologize quickly when I realize I'm getting out of hand.

Why is it SO DIFFICULT to just listen to what I'm saying and take what I say at face-value? If I'm legitimately upset, YOU'LL KNOW. If I felt that what I was saying was soooooooo offensive that it would piss everyone else off, I WOULDN'T SAY IT. And if I was really fighting a point because it was that important to me, trust me, offending you would be the least of my worries. But it's a friendly discussion. Let me sit and have a talk over dinner with you! Why is that so hard?

I'm an adult. I can think freely. I consider myself pretty damned smart and quite logical in my stances. I'm good at looking from both sides of the spectrum. So don't ask me for my opinion if you have no desire to actually listen to it! It is NOT my job to mindlessly agree with you when you ask for my input!

And of course, since my problem with them is that they don't listen, when I try and explain that to them (rather politely and calmly, might I add) they... don't listen. It is so frustrating. So, so frustrating.

Rant done. Now that that's over, I'm gonna go sleep it off and try to put a smile on for tomorrow.

:bang:

#1 BudderMC, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. unknownerror

I take it you are just home on break? is it your first break home after being off to school? I remember it being very tough for me as well....being on your own, an adult in charge f your own self and then having to conform back to being a "subsidiary" so to speak....

try not to let it get to you...grin and bear it a bit, but stick up for yourself when its really important...if you acquiesce on the little things, they might take you more seriously on the big things...

that and keep your head down and stay out of their way or out of the house, perhaps a summer job?

3. Lad123

Hey Budder, take a deep breath (*hug*)

I understand how frustrating it is living at home. When I went to university, I loved the space away from my parents, it was like a quiet haven not having to deal with them on a daily basis :lol: Having graduated and back at home now, its driving me insane! I've been looking at apartments to rent in a city nearby and hope to find a nice job there a.s.a.p!!! Just keep thinking to yourself that its only a short visit home and then you're back to studying and free (!)

4. Vesper

Sorry to hear that you're encountering some disrespect your family. I can relate to what you're going through; I've also had to deal at times with family not listening to what I have to say, or respecting my point of view. It really wears a person down, being disregarded like that.

When my dad gets upset at me for something, he flat-out insists on me doing exactly what he thinks I should do to resolve the situation, even though he says that I may do things my way if I so prefer. The thing is, when I take him at his word and choose to do things my way, he gets MORE upset because I didn't do things his way, and tells me that I'll fail. Worse yet, my mom always comes to his defense because he's older and more experienced in life, so I almost always cave in because I don't want to get into a shouting match. Both have accused me of being insolent and unappreciative before for not listening to him, when I actually had considered every POV and still decided my own way was better. Like in your situation, I always try to explain as calmly as possible that they're not being reasonable, but it always backfires and results in them accusing me of being disrespectful again. It's maddening...

I had a friend who told me that her parents stopped trying to butt in on her decisions when she became financially independent, and it seems like a reasonable bargain. I don't know how things are with your family, but perhaps the best way is to hold on, grit your teeth, and wait until you can become financially independent. That way, if they insist on not letting you speak up for yourself, you can bring up your financial independence as an effective counterargument.

#4 Vesper, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. unknownerror

Yup. Pretty much that right there. If you're living with them, and they are supporting you, they are pretty much just gonna see you as their child that still needs to do as he's told. There's little else that will chanfe that. Protesting will likely only be seen as petulance...

6. bdman

I know how you feel, I get that too. So much so that I don't like seeing my family. They are extremely religious, anti-gay and republican. Everything they all discuss is politics and how anti-god liberals are trying to destroy the country. How god is going to punish the USA for even considering an abomination such as gay marriage. I am hopelessly outnumbered and can't really discuss anything without expressing a completely different opinion. So I try to go sit by myself in another room, then they complain I'm being anti-social. I don't understand how I could have possibly come from this family. I have nothing in common with any of them. This is why I have to stay closeted.

7. BudderMC

If anyone was concerned, I'm feeling better today.

The thing I find funny in retrospect is my mom always wonders why I don't like to talk about my life. The first reason is that I'm closeted-ish to her (and it's an uncomfortable subject), but the second reason would be all of this. Even when it's my platform to talk, it's never really my platform to talk.

And I'm just home for the long weekend; I come home most weekends for work anyway, so I'm used (kinda) to the visits. It's probably more due to the fact that we spent the whole day together (like 11 hours or so), and there's only so long I can feign not having anything interesting to say. Especially when I get added into a conversation; you can't just not reply.

I understand that I will forever be "the child", but it still bothers me. I mean, I'm the oldest, does that not count for much? Not to mention with all the drama with my dad before, I had to "grow up" really quickly. Probably just that my mom doesn't want to give up more "power", and my brother feels the need to "protect her".

But it's still frustrating. :/

8. unknownerror

glad to hear you are better today :slight_smile:

I get that...and when I spend a an entire day like that with my mom we usually clash at least once :wink: we're just too much alike in personality :slight_smile:

I too am the oldest and it doesn't matter...I'm always her son

just take a deep breath and remember its no huge deal in the long run :slight_smile: