1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Like This Guy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Thandrami, May 20, 2012.

1. Thandrami

First of all im an 18 year old male and gay. I met this guy who worked at a Petsmart I think maybe a year ago but never talked to him, btw he is openly gay. Well when I met him I wasn't out to anyone. About a week ago I told him I was gay (he was the first person I told) and he has been giving me advice and we have been chatting non stop for this past week. Turns out we have a lot of similar interests. He invited me to come with him to the gym yesterday and we basically ended up walking around the track for about an hour just chatting. He then invited me to go to In and Out where we chatted some more for about two hours. He is super nice and funny and I really like him but I don't know if he likes me back. He has been giving me some great advice on how to tell other people (which i have told a few other people). Ive never been good at determining when someone likes you. Can anyone help?

2. RealityCheck

Just tell him that you are thankful that he has been such an awesome friend, but that you can't help but take a chance and see if he would be interested in going out sometime. It seems to me that he might be interested. You could also be a little more patient and see how things develop. He may ask you soon enough.

3. Thandrami

Well during one of our long chats the topic of asking people out came up and he said he is terrified to so he doesn't put much energy into the subject.

4. ThatCoopKid

It sounds like he is interested. My only advice is to ask him. Worst case scenario, he isn't and things are fine. Best case scenario - he is, and who knows where things could go from there? If you never ask, you'll always wonder.

5. Thandrami

What if I ask him and it makes things awkward between us? :confused:

6. JonSomeone21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Perhaps you could discreetly bring it up as a general conversation topic. If you don't want to do that, you can always just tell him how you feel. I have been in this situation (with a girl before I accepted being gay) and I told her how I felt and then she turned me down, but we stayed best friends and later dated for over a year. If he says no, just tell him that you would like to still be friends...it will be awkward for a little while, but eventually, it will get back to normal. Good luck!

7. Thandrami

Thanks! I plan on waiting a few more weeks possibly to see where things go and if we continue as we are now then il muster up the courage and ask him :icon_wink

8. Ianthe

Um, he told you he's scared to ask people out. Therefore, you are going to have to do the asking.

But you can start with asking him to do stuff that isn't necessarily a date. It's your turn to invite him to something--he invited you to the gym. Since he's said explicitly that he has a hard time asking people out and stuff, it might actually be a big deal already that he asked you to the gym. So, you need to invite him to do something with you.

If you want to kind of lead in to the whole dating topic, you could ask him if he would date someone who isn't really out yet.

If you don't want it to be awkward, the main thing is to not make a huge deal of it when you ask him out. If he says no, just say that's cool but you thought you'd give it a shot. Then--and this is important--have another topic to talk about immediately. Something you are both really interested in is best, so that you'll both be able to be absorbed in the conversation. After talking for a few minutes about something else, it will stop feeling awkward. But it's best to push past the awkwardness right away and remind yourself--and him--why you are friends.

The trick is, you have to really be ready to accept it and move on if he says no.

9. Insomniac

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think that's the best choice you've already chosen. Keep hanging out with him for more weeks. I guess 1 or 2 weeks are not enough to bringing up deep feelings or sth like that. Wait and see how it goes and when you become certain you want to be in relationship with him , you can be the first person who talks about his feelings. Just before that tell him it's ok if his answer is negative and make him sure that you want him to be your friend in the first place.

10. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he wasn't interested in you, he wouldn't have envied you to go gym with him or the other place, he wouldn't have talked that much. Ask him, tell him how you feel about him and ask him how he feels about you.

It could be this guy want's to be only friends with you and to help you out (which is actually great), or it could be that he's more interested in you than you think. But it would help to know like, if he touches you, or smile at you differently that he smiles at other people, little things like that is usually an indication.

11. Thandrami

Ok well i guess I phrased it wrong. It wasn't an invite to the gym. Here is what he said.

I just got off work and I'm going to the gym.
    Me- Lucky, I want to go
    Him- Whats stopping you?
    Me- Uhhh idk xD I guess i should get off my butt and go xD I told myself i was going to go this morning but i never did
    Him- Lmao well you should go! Neither of us like working out alone lol
    Me- I just gotta change and then im leaving.
    Him- Awesome :grin:
    Me- :grin:
    Him- Im kind of excited

and that is where it stopped because i got to the gym.

12. rainbowfox

"kind of excited" :grin: I think he likes you and you have to give it a try :grin:
    but give it some time, maybe you can invite him to a movie or something, and during the movie a little hand holding :grin:
    crossing fingers for you (*hug*)

and hey, tell us whats going on :grin:

13. Thandrami

I will definitely keep you updated

14. Thandrami

I am debating on how I want to Tell him I like him. Should I just be blunt and say I like you or should it be more along the lines of over the past few weeks us talking has made me realize how special of a person you and I couldn't help but take a chance in telling you I like you?

Do you have any suggestions on how to phrase it?

15. squally89

Hi Thandrami,

So its been approximately a week and 5 days (correct me if I am wrong) since you guys chatted and hangout together.
    If you don't mind can you give us some information about him? (Age, any past relationship history?, what's his tone when he's with you?)

Didn't you wanted to wait about 2 weeks? So you technically got two more days :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Personal question from me - Will you be okay if he said no to you? Can you still see yourself as his friend?

And I'm sorry to make life more complicated for you, but you recently came out (a week ago) and you met this wonderful guy (which you sort of know a year ago at PetSmart), but do you know what you want for yourself right now?

16. Thandrami

I started chatting with him a little over 2 weeks ago. We didn't start hanging out until about a week and 5 days. He is 20, im not sure about his past relationships and i know its not much help but i am really bad at reading people so I can't really tell his tone. I think I will be fine if he says no. If anything I still want to be his friend. I came out almost 3 weeks ago :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I didn't keep dates accurate sorry) I know it sounds silly but when I first talked to him at Petsmart when he was the cashier I really liked him and now that i have gotten to know him even more it just encourages that feeling.

What do you mean do I know what I want for myself right now? (Honestly I am not sure what you are asking lol)

17. squally89

I guess what I am trying to say is to ask yourself these questions (or simply keep them in mind)
    - Do you feel ready to "date" someone?
    - Do you think of him as a "friend" or "sometime more"? (You may not be able to determine this yet, may require more time and thought)

I ask these questions because I have in the past "dated" people who I truly only wanted to be friends with, but circumstances change (they told me they like me and I was like sure bc we are good friends, why not, right?) and I end up having to end things because I really only cared about them as a friend (of course now I lost a friend due to my lack of understanding of myself at the time).

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2012 at 03:03 AM ----------

I apologize in advance that I'm viewing this so objectively and trying to seek logic on a very emotional matter (when logic is unique to everyone and has flaws to itself). And I am a thinker (or just plain neurotic) haha if you haven't notice.

I just want you to be aware of your decisions, but to be honest you're not even there yet where you gonna make that "final decision".

(I am gonna sound so contradictory right now)
    Just have fun and be yourself and listen to your gut feeling about if you should be blunt or not on telling him about your developing interest for him.

18. Thandrami

You make very good points. :slight_smile: I will definitely take all of this into consideration.I wish this didn't have to be so hard lol.

19. rainbowfox

I think squally made great points. :slight_smile:
    especially when he mentions that it's not a long time that you are out and maybe you need some more time to make things plain for yourself :slight_smile: but on the other hand if I were in same situation, I certainly had taken a shoot :slight_smile:

20. squally89

I think we need a YouTube moment - Call me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen