1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aftermath of coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by julia, May 21, 2012.

1. julia

So I came out to my parents and to my sister about a month ago and yet it has not once come up in conversation since then. It's really making me feel more alone than I did when I was fully in the closet. It's like they're totally ignoring the fact that I'm gay. And it sucks how my mom doesn't accept it and thinks I need to find a nice guy or get back together with my ex boyfriend. I feel feel really lonely and I feel like I have no one to talk to in person. I just thought it would be easier than this. Help? :cry:

2. King

King Guest

Do you show any discomfort with the subject? Maybe your family doesn't want to upset you by always bringing it up. I came out to my mom three years ago and I can count on one hand how many times she mentioned anything about it.
    Try opening up about it to your parents and sister, and maybe they'll see that you're open to talking about it. And of course, if you ever need to just talk to someone, feel free to message me :slight_smile:
    Good luck x

3. rx79g

I'm in the same exact situation. The one time I talked to my mom about it, she said she didn't know what to say anymore. I haven't gotten the guts yet but I think if you slowly bring it up in conversations in very subtle ways. Don't make a big deal out of it but if its relevant to the conversation than don't avoid it. I think that's the way to go but I'm not totally sure, like I said I don't have the guts to do it because it makes my parents fidgit like you would not believe.

4. amychan12

Try to talk to them again tell them your happier that way if that's how u feel and let them know it hasn't changed your personality your still the same girl just with a new outlook on life:thumbsup:

5. InkStain

InkStain Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would definitely try talking to them about it. It might be that they just feel uncomfortable bringing it up.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I know its hard but you should try talking to them, often people dont bring it up because they dont know what to say or whether you want to talk about it.

7. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

Maybe they just don't know what to say or how to say it. I also think you should talk to them about it.

8. sguyc

I am in the same situation except that I just don't feel any need to discuss that part of my life with them. My mom has brought it up a few times but I just don't have anything to say about it. Maybe when I actually get a boyfriend.

9. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As Silverhalo (and others) have been saying, if you want to talk to them more about it, then you shouldn't be afraid to be the one to bring it up. There could be a variety of reasons they're not talking about it (embarrassment, discomfort, don't want to offend you, just processing things on their own). But the longer you let it go undiscussed, the more you establish this as the pattern for how things will be. So don't let them get too used to it.

10. Insomniac

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Is it really important to talk to your family about your sexual orientation ?! I myself don't think so. It's necessary to tell them who you are but yakking about ....?

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont think you have to talk to your parents at length about your sexuality if you dont want to, it depends on the person. Some people like to talk about it and other dont. The original poster had said that they wanted to and thought it was being ignored and so I think that is why people were suggesting they bring it up, but if you are happy not talking about it then that is cool too.