1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OCD - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sayu, May 21, 2012.

1. Sayu

I've been struggling with OCD since my parents divorced, which was like 7 years ago. At first I didn't know it actually had a name so I just wrote on some forum what was happening with me pretty sure people would answer that I'm crazy. But obviously, they didn't and one of them told me it could be OCD. When I was 15, I went to a psychologist and talked to her about it. She told me I should visit psychiatrist because this was not something she could make stop.
    The only problem is I haven't even told my mum about visiting the psychologist, nor did I tell her about this problem. I think I am more afraid of telling her this than coming out of the closet to her, because I am kind of ashamed of it. I mean, my mum is an intelligent woman, but I am afraid she wouldn't understand how I feel when I have to do something like switching the light on and off forever... And first of all, I don't want her to be worried because of me :icon_sad: What should I do? I know there are people who suffers from OCD and I would appreciate their advice. Is there any chance that I could treat my OCD on my own? I've tried many times, but it's really exhausting :icon_sad: Maybe you have some great idea on how to resist doing those stupid things? :help: It's really getting worse lately... :tears: :bang:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, I wouldn't put too much stock in a diagnosis obtained via a forum. There are many, many different conditions that can be diagnosed by a psychologist or psychiatrist, some of which might look very similar to a lay observer.

I'm more interested in the psychologist you saw. What did she say to you exactly? How did you get to see her without your parents' knowledge, unless this is a recent thing? Depending on what type of psychologist you saw and how professional they are, going to a psychiatrist might be a good idea - if she gave you an actual referral, try looking into it. If nothing else, it could close off one more possible explanation.

And try not to be too afraid of talking to your mom about this. If she's as intelligent as you say, then she'll recognize that this is something you need help with. She doesn't necessarily need to understand exactly how you feel, she just needs to want to help. Do you think she'll be able to do that?

3. Michaelisopen

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am definitely not a professional, and I only know a little bit of this disorder! There are probably more educated people here.

Anyway,

I suggest you get some help. The psychiatrist can help teach you ways of controlling the OCD, and the weight of knowing you have OCD will get lifted, since you told someone, and your family will help you control it, since they will know, too!

Hope this helped a bit!

4. RebelD

There are two types of OCD, one is a personality disorder, while the other is an anxiety disorder. If I can take a guess, I would say that yours is more anxiety (the divorce of your parents). If that is the case, you might be able to improve it a bit by relaxation. There are many exercises and breathing techniques that could help. You could search for some online. But I would recommend that you do visit a psychiatrist, they know best. Ps I am not yet qualified, but I hope it helps a bit. :icon_wink

5. piratealisonnn

I'd say you should probably seek professional help. I have OCD but it's not at the point where it is affecting my daily routine. This sounds like it is really bothering you and putting more stress on your plate. There is nothing to be ashamed of because you have it. And in most cases it is easily treated with medicines and relaxation techniques.

I wish you the best of luck and if you need someone to talk to, you can talk to me (although I can't PM yet because I'm not a full member). I can semi-relate to how you're feeling.

6. stilllovelyafte

Agree with all of the above. Be careful putting too much stock in specific diagnoses offered online. At the same time, great advice above to see someone to talk about this. There is lots of treatment for anxiety disorders out there and you shouldn't suffer unnecessarily.

7. phliper12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was diagnosed with OCD like 8 years ago because I was 'distant'. but I quit taking the medication the doctor gave me because it was useless.

Several years later... I realize it has just been severe depression... go figure... never go to a family doctor for mental health needs.

8. Sayu

Thank you, guys.

Gravity and stilllovelyafte, I also wanted to be sure that these people from the internet weren't wrong, that's why I went to the psychologist. As for how I got there, well, I knew her (we live in a small town) and I found her email and was writing with her for a while. One day I wrote that I would like to actually meet with her and talk about this but I don't want anybody to know and she responded that it was okay and set an appointment.

So we chatted for quite a long time and I told her about all my feelings, e.g. how I feel when I try to resist and what kinds of images I see in my head when I eventually decide to stop resisting and just doing what those thoughts say. Then I said just few of my rituals and everyday compulsions (I actually have like 20 of them) and she said she couldn't help this, since this was not a light case of OCD.

But I believe there is a hope for me. I mean, I tried to fight it several times and it went really good, except that it was really exhausting. But it worked. Maybe it would be worth all that suffering and I would eventually get rid of this. I know that I can't stop myself from washing my hair daily or even twice a day, but that is not such a problem, since I like hygiene. And I already found out a way how to stop checking the door all the time. When I leave the house and lock the door, I check it and say to myself "I've locked the door." and then when I want to come back and re-check it, I just remember myself saying that and I don't have to go back... It's just a small step, but I call it progress :icon_wink

#8 Sayu, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  9. jake v

I have in diagnosed OCD, on some nights it can become annoying but never too bad. Basically I have to touch things a bunch of times to step on floor tiles with a specific foot to even out my body. I know it sounds weird but I think you understand what I'm saying. Over the course of many years I have been able to suppress most of my impulses and strange habits. Seeing a shrink is a good idea there are methods out there for helping bad ocd symptoms.

10. Mogget

It's not that family doctors are less competent to diagnose mental health problems per se, it's that mental illness is really hard to diagnose. It can take up to ten years to get a correct diagnosis even with good, well-trained mental health professionals.

11. Sayu

I can definitely understand that, because I do the same things all the time... :bang: