1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it too late to come out at 22? Did I miss out on youth?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gmac, May 21, 2012.

1. gmac

Hi I'm 22 and still in the closet. Gay feelings came out of nowhere at age 13. Thought I was bi at most. Have been with girls, but lately have been feeling empty inside, as I have never even done anything with a guy. When I was a teenager I used to fantasize about men twice my age and now that I'm 22 it's the opposite, I like college boys. I don't really know much at all about gay culture/scene, but I heard its youth centric. My question is if I came out now, would I be too old to really get in the gay scene? Say I went to a gay club, would I be ancient and obsolete compared to all the barely legal twinks? Also from posts on Craigslists, it seems like most younger DL guys (18-23) only seek guys roughly their age or younger. I'm not a super macho jock but I am definitely masculine in terms of personality, style, voice and have very masculine facial features/body build. Not to sound cocky but I'm pretty good looking and get a lot of female attention. So basically did I miss the best time to explore my sexuality (teenage/college years) by being in the closet. I'm kicking myself for not coming out sooner (I was basically outed by my best friend at 18 but I denied it). Am I near my "shelf life", as I've read online? Not like I want to go be a huge man whore at all, but you know..... I want to experiment. What do you think?

2. Michaelisopen

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dude, your 22. Not that old. I don't think you missed anything. You are definitely NOT near your shelf life. I am almost sure that there will be 18 year olds that will tap that shit. :icon_wink Don't be so hard on yourself.

Good Luck!

3. brandyfan02

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 22 and I came out last week... my thought was, I'm not getting any younger! Plus, technically, "legal" for clubs & such is 21 anyway, so see? You're still 'barely legal' yourself :slight_smile: Ultimately, there's no point wasting any more of your life being miserable in the closet.

4. secretguyX

Oh come on, 22? You're still young, even if you're not a teenager! You have your whole life ahead of you! Of course, it's never too late to come out and be who you are. If you truly are gay, and want to come out, go ahead! You'll most likely be relieved too. :icon_bigg

5. Dominic

Dominic Guest

It's never too late to come out (unless you're like 90 year old man and have been married to a woman for 60 years and you have 5 kids). Today marks the beginning of the rest of your life. (I was trying to copy a motivational speaker.) :slight_smile: Seriously though, 22 isn't that old, even though stupid teenagers may call that old. Good luck!

6. WriteLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    22 is far from old! It's never too late to come out. If you want to expirement go right ahead. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there willing to help you :slight_smile:

7. Cloudbreaker

I'm 25 and have only started coming out to people about 4 months ago. And I have read stories of people much older than me who were just starting the coming out process. So no, you are not too old. No, it is not too late. No, you did not miss out on youth. Sure, your life might have gone differently if you had come out earlier, but there is no way to know if it would have turned out better. So don't even worry about what can't be changed anyway. The future is bright, so get out there and soak up some rays.

8. Lad123

Nope, 22 is young! :slight_smile:

You have your whole life ahead of you. I think its a normal age for guys in their 20s to start accepting who they are and want to come out. There are many guys in their 30s and 40s who have just begun to come out so 22 is young indeed.

9. Zontar

I once heard of a man coming out in his seventies. I think you're fine.

10. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are certainly not too old. Most clubs (in the States anyway) only have people 21+, for obvious reasons.

Also, just to make sure it's covered, don't take craigslist as in any way reflective of actual life as a gay man. It's not - things are much better than that. :slight_smile:

11. 55

12. Vanc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not old at all! I came out just 4 months ago at the age of 21. I was still struggling with my sexuality in my teenage years so I don't feel like me coming out at an earlier time would have been beneficial for me. It's definitely not too late for you to make that huge step forward in your life, if you choose to do so. Wish you the best of luck :slight_smile:

13. super confused

It's never too late. :slight_smile:

14. JonSomeone21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lord, I hope not...I'm 21 and not out to anyone...I have been debating seriously lately about coming out to close friends, but if YOU are too old at 22, then I may as well just lock the door and stay in because I will be there in 2 months. :slight_smile:

15. ameliawesome

heck no! i'll be 26 this year and i totally feel that way sometimes, but really there is no reason to feel that way.

16. Ianthe

I'm sorry. But I'm laughing, out loud, for real. You can't be serious. Our local gay youth group goes up to 23.

No, you are not too old. For anything, really, and definitely not for coming out and dating.

You are not so much older than "college guys" that they are out of your reach. Lot's of guys your age are still in college, in fact.

Craigslist is a lousy way to meet people, geared mostly towards hook-ups. I mean, it's fine if that's all you're looking for just now, but obviously, people looking for a one-night encounter tend to have more superficial criteria, in terms of what they're looking for--and especially what they advertise for. (And you are looking for the same age and younger too, right?)

The more personal interaction you have with guys before hooking up, the less it's going to be like that. The restrictions are to make it more likely that he'll find you attractive when you actually meet. If you meet in a club or whatever, he'll know whether he's attracted to you or not, regardless of what your actual age might be. I mean, if you were hooking up with a guy you just met, it would be because you were attracted to him, right, not because of how old he is.

Frankly, from the perspective of most of the community, you more or less still qualify as one of those "barely legal twinks" you were talking about. Like I said, you can still join youth organizations and stuff.

17. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's never to late to come out. I did it around 29! There are some people that only comes out at around 30's or 40's, so no it's never to late to come out.

Your preference is quite understandable, you into "twinks" not those that are muscle bound and all that. Like body builders, I understand the sport, but for me it looks disgusting. I don't think the human body was meant to be like that. I much prefer to look at guys that are just barely showing a bit of muscle, which happened to be a bit younger guys. My husband though is kinda exception to that, still don't know how it really happened but I'm not complaining either!

18. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're too old then...damn :icon_sad: I only have a year...

Nah, I'm pretty sure there are some twinks out there attracted to masculine guys although I'm not sure craigslist is the best place to find them. Besides, how old you are and how old you look don't always match up so don't think you're only limited to a certain age group. I'm 21 and it's been proven that I could pass for a high school student any day of the week...probably because I'm short :dry:...anyway I'm sure there are people who, like you, are ONLY 4 YEARS above the "barely legal" age and would still fit your "type."

19. rainbowfox

you are not OLD at all, i'll be 23 this year and i feel am really young too (it's a few months that i'm out) :grin: go and find someone :wink:

20. cscipio

Ditto :wink:

Friend, you're not too old.