1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling My Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Thandrami, May 21, 2012.

1. Thandrami

I know I have been posting on here a lot but people on here give good advice. I wan't to tell my mom that i'm gay. I don't live with her but we live in the same town. I have a feeling she already knows on some level. I wan't to tell her after she has had time to wind down from her trip to New York in a couple of weeks. The only problem is I want to tell her in private in person but since we don't live together and she lives with her friend there is no real private place. I can't think of anywhere that we can go to where I can discuss it in person. Any suggestions?

2. BudderMC

Can you not invite her to lunch or something? I mean, you could go eat, then go for a walk around a park or something. Technically it's still "public" (which is daunting) but honestly, most people are too engrossed with their own lives to care about your conversation, especially if you make the effort to keep it a little bit hush-hush.

Maybe you could find a way to spend the day together; take a car ride to whatever it is you have planned. Two people alone in a car is pretty private. It's how I (sort of) told my mom. It was admittedly a little awkward (for other reasons), but I think I benefited in a way because seeing as you're in a moving vehicle, once you start talking about it you kind of have to commit to the conversation. I know if I had the chance (and trust me, I TRIED) I would've shelled up and backed out.

Could you just go over to her place at some point when her friend isn't around? Or, could you invite her over to your place?

3. Dominic

Dominic Guest

First of all, congratulations on having the guts to come out to your mom. :eusa_clap

Now, you could go to a fancy restaurant and do it right after you're finished eating. Also, do you live alone? If you do, then talk to her in your place. You could schedule a meeting time where she lives when her friend is gone or her friend is at work. If you live with someone, schedule a time when you both can meet at your place and your roommate(s) is gone. If none of the above work, you could just go to a coffee shop. I know it's not private, but it's all I've got.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. Keelin

First off, welcome to EC!

I suggest that you could find a place in a park or such a public place. Hopefully it will be empty enough to have no possible eavesdroppers. Although that really depends on how populated your area is.

If worse comes to worse though, you could get in the car with her, drive for a few miles, then pull the car over to the side of the road and tell her. Privacy, no where to escape, and one on one.

5. Thandrami

I live with my dad and stepmom (no they don't know and I don't plan on telling them for a while) I don't want to do it in a car because i have a feeling its going to be emotional. Im just trying to think of a quiet place to do it besides a restaurant

6. Dominic

Dominic Guest

I've got it! A library, it's so quiet! :slight_smile:

I'm just kidding though. I don't know if you have a nice walking trail close by, but you could go on a walk with her on the trail and come out. Those are pretty peaceful, and only creepers would eavesdrop on you there because most people are very focused on their walks or listening to their iPods.

Oh, and welcome to EC!

7. Ianthe

The car can be okay, actually, as long as it isn't moving. It has the advantage of being a lot more private than a restaurant or something.

You could also tell the friend that you really want to have a private conversation with your mom, or you could tell your mom. Does she not have her own room?

8. Insomniac

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Invite her to a park for a walk or maybe a coffee shop or restaurant. If it's that much hard to find a private place , just tell her you have sth to tell which is important for you , a mother and son chat or sth. :slight_smile: She will understand and will help you find a place where you can feel free to talk in :wink:

9. Thandrami

Well I told her. She took me out to dinner but luckily for me we got put in the corner of the restaurant and there was only one other couple there. She said she was really proud of me and we hugged and she cried. She gave me some advice and said she will love me no matter what. :icon_bigg

10. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and I'm glad your mom is so supportive! :grin:

11. BudderMC

Congrats! It's awesome to hear when things like these work out nicely :slight_smile: