1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transgender GID therapy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Deaf Not Blind, May 22, 2012.

1. Deaf Not Blind

ok, i wrote back to a local place. i told them i need to know cost as i have no job. i think i may go in for discussing my problem as it is interfering with school and my life. :help:

2. Hot Pink

How much therapy costs depends on the therapist and where you live. My therapist charges $100 per session, but I live in central Minnesota. If you live in a bigger city, it could cost much more than that.

3. Deaf Not Blind

better to see someone at least once than never. it seems not eating for days, not going to school on time, not doing my study...is because i need help. :frowning2: rats! Americans don't like to ask for help, I'm tough should be able to handle stuff my way until i say so! argh!

4. Young Anonymous

I've always heard it's around $100 per 50 minutes. And health insurance won't cover it but if you come in and write it in as for 'depression' they will cover it.

5. Deaf Not Blind

weird. idk, we shall see.

6. J Snow

I think whether or not health insurance will cover it can very a bit. My advice to you would be to look into whether or not your school has any programs for therapy. I myself am getting free therapy sessions through my university. It may not be with a specific "gender therapist" as I would eventually likely need should I choose to transition (which is seeming to grow more likely), yet I imagine she has helped me as much as any other therapist could.

Oh yeah, and did I mention its free?

7. Hot Pink

My insurance covers my gender therapy and I went there just for that. I don't have to pay a cent to go, so that's nice. I couldn't really afford to pay $100 per visit.

8. Deaf Not Blind

Lucky!
    i may lose my insurance for going to another state to school which just wrong.

9. Wolfy

It depends. The therapist I had at the time, said if they're truly concerned with their patient, and they can't afford anything. It'll be a sliding scale. My mom didn't have a job and what not and he did it for free.

10. Deaf Not Blind

Well i got no job so cross fingers it works out i find a good one.

11. 11 11 11

Yeah best of luck!

12. seeksanctuary

My first therapist was $30 for about an hour. Sliding fee scales are nice. I have state-funded insurance and had to go to other places since the money ran out... they covered it as long as I went to offices they picked, regardless of reason.

It really all depends.

Good luck, DNB.

13. Deaf Not Blind

yeah mine state health plan but becuse im going to out of state school live in dorm they will cut off in july