1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cynicite, May 22, 2012.

1. Cynicite

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I recently came to the conclusion that I want to get out and make gay friends. My whole life, my only friends have been straight, and while I love them to death, I really want to meet new people. My therapist recommended one of her best friends/neighbor, a guy who is really into the LGBT scene in my state. So I called him up and talked to him about meeting people and volunteering, and he invited me to his Memorial day cookout.

Here's my dilemma. He's almost thirty years older then me, and while he told me about some of the other people that are going to be there, their ages were pretty varied. The youngest person there barring me is still five years older then me. I'm really concerned that I'm going to show up and feel totally out of place. I know I'm mature for my age, but I don't think that I'll have anything to say that will interest any of them.

So, should I go or wait for some other opportunity to meet people?

2. Dalmatian

Of course you should go. This is exactly what you want, right? The guy is active in the gay community, he can get you involved too and you will have a chance to meet some gay people. It doesn't matter that they are older (and btw, 18-23 is not really that much of a difference that you can't talk). If anything, it will give you a glimpse on what gay life can look like. And in any case, if you don't like it or just feel that you don't belong there, you can always go away. But I don't see that happening. You will probably get a lot of support and pep talk. Go :wink:

3. Dominic

Dominic Guest

I think you should go and see how it is. You could have fun, but if not, you could just leave. If it bugs you too much about spending time with older men, then you could just wait for another opportunity. I definitely think you should go. :slight_smile:

4. Catkin

I'd advise you to give it a shot. If you don't like it you can always leave and you don't have to go back if you don't want to. At the very least it would probably be good to talk to older people who've all been where you are now. Don't worry, you'll find things to talk about. Your friends don't have to all be the same age as you; one of my best friends is 8 years older than me and we get on great.
    I actually posted a thread a bit similar to this a while ago, asking should I go to an LGBT youth meeting. I actually ended up having the opposite problem to you; the group was officially from teenage to age 27 but a lot of the members were on the younger side. I found it a bit unsettling being surrounded by fourteen year olds who were more together than me! So there might be good points about being the youngest one there. Good luck, whatever you decide.

5. rainbowfox

I think you should go :slight_smile: it can be a good experience :slight_smile:

6. Lad123

Yeah its a nice opportunity to see how its like so I think you should go. If you don't like it then just say thanks and then don't meet up with them again :slight_smile:

7. Michaelisopen

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Go. Meet people!

8. super confused

Go. If you don't, you'll probably regret it.

9. BudderMC

Well... you're all LGBT... soooooo... oh, I don't know what you could talk about :wink:

Seriously though. You talk to them like you'd talk to any other stranger; about your life. When you talk to aunts and uncles, it isn't necessarily "age-specific" conversation, you guys just talk about your lives. One person asks a question, the other answers. Repeat until you find something more exciting to do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Besides, like you said, you wanted to meet new LGBT people. They're all LGBT (or involved and supportive, which is good enough). Sounds pretty good to me.

And if nothing else, it's a good chance to network. Talk to the guy and the other people who show up and see what other LGBT-stuff they're doing. They might just have something more your speed for some other time. :slight_smile:

10. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do it do it do it! This is what you've been waiting for! :grin:

11. honestboy13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've recently descovered I like guys more so I'm trying to make more guy friends