1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like coming out today, any advices?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sayu, May 23, 2012.

1. Sayu

So, I want to come out to my brother today. He would be the first family member if I told him. I think he will be cool with it and I also think he already knows.
    If I do, I will come out via Skype (writing, not calling :icon_bigg), since he lives far away.

How should I start? I thought maybe I could write something like: "Hey, can you keep a secret? Could I tell you something?"

Also, I am not going to say that I am a lesbian, I just want to say that I like girls.

I am freaking out and I am not sure if I will do it, because I'm way too nervous. I would really appreciate any advices or encouragement from you, guys! (&&&)

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do it! Everything will be fine afterwards.

Honestly, even if he doesn't take it well (which sounds unlikely) you will be okay! It will feel great regardless because you will still have it off your chest.

Dont think about it. just do it!

3. ryan1989

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only way to find out is to tell him. He's obviously a big part of your life and telling him will remove the weight off your shoulders :slight_smile:. Let us know how you go. Xx

4. Blue Eyed Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I was in the same situation a few weeks back. I tried texting my brother about it, trying to start the conversation with 'hi how are you?' but he never replied to that. I just flat out asked him 'Can I talk to you about something?'. It's scary telling your first family member, my brother was the first of the family to know and I sat there for 20 minutes trying to press 'send'. You feel so much better afterwards honestly!

You tell your brother in the way you feel most comfortable. I just flat out said "i'm gay" in my message and added other stuff in but if you feel better just saying 'i like girls' then you do it that way! :slight_smile:

I wish you all the luck in the world!

5. Afraida

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was in the same position you're in now a little while ago. I called my brother up on the phone, and I didn't know how to tell him so I just said "I don't know how to explain this, so I'll just say it. I'm gay." It was that simple for me. Try to not take a long round about approach, because that will just work up some anxiety.

6. Deaf Not Blind

I dont have a lot of family i give a care about, so i havent told mom.
    I have only come out to 2 people, neither straight, and one I said the whole not tell anybody promise me thing, the other i just said a few helos: if i have a roomy at Gallaudet tho it could be problem...added im a very weird person they will see a lot and some things you dont know and deaf gossip travels....(he said they are weird then) ...if u only knew...(he said doubt anything about u weirder than my family)...:wink:...um bet u r wrong...(nope i am good judge of character nothing can sway me to think you are weird)...nothing? What if i told u im ftm?.......(he said as in female to male?)...wel?...(he said as long as you are true to yourself you will find a way i got your back 110%!)

So, he said he is like a bro to me and his sis had ordered me to sister him, so is close enough? Ok hes gay, but that is how i came out.

7. Sayu

Thank you, guys! :slight_smile:

And you know what? I DID IT!!! :grin:

8. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done! I totally envy you! Lol, knowing who you are and having the guts to come out :eusa_clap

I was going to suggest a way for you to go about it, but maybe you could still use it when you come out to other guys:

During a conversation you just say something like, "You know we have something in common?" and when he asks what you say, "we both like girls"

9. Sayu