1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on befriending a straight guy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by katsuma37, May 25, 2012.

1. katsuma37

Hey guys! ^^; I could use some advice...

So I'm gay, but not out....although you could say that it's semi-obvious by my mannerisms. Anyway, I have lots of straight guy friends, but it seems like all of those friendships just spontaneously happen. Like....I'm not trying to befriend them.

Well, there's this really hot straight guy at my school. We're like acquaintance friends...like we've never hung out but we talk sometimes. Recently, we both started playing Diablo (xD) and I want to befriend him. Yes, just befriend. I know he's straight. T_T Anyway, he seems really nice as he's usually the one to initiate contact with me....but only in the video game. The few times that we've texted, I started it. But but but, we're both gonna be here this summer! I asked him if he wanted to hang out generally and he was like "yeah, for sure!" Now I kinda wanna follow up. The problem is that I told one of my other friends about befriending him and how I texted him and stuff and the guy was like "be careful, he could think you're gay and hitting on him" in a joking way. I totally do NOT want this! I just wanna be friends! =(

How do I ask him to hang out without making it seem date-y/creepy? And I don't wanna hang out in a group cause, honestly, I just wanna talk to him. xD Help guys? How should I ask/what should I say? Thanks!!! ^^

2. jargon

I'm just going to be blunt and say that the impression I get from this is that you kind of sort of actually like this guy, even though you know he's straight and wouldnt act on it. You were pretty clear that that isn't what you mean, and I might be totally assuming, but that's the vibe I got.

Partly that the only thing you mentioned about him personally (besides Diablo) is that he's hot. Partly that you're pretty intent on hanging out with him alone, rather than in a group. Partly that most people dont specifically plan ways to befriend an attractive person of the gender they're interested in if they dont kind of like them (at least, not if they already have lots of friends like you said you do).

Again, sorry if I'm assuming. Either way, hanging out in a small group with some mutual friends doesnt sound like a terrible idea. You'll still be able to talk to him and all, and that's probably how most friendships "spontaneously happen" anyways. It's easier not to force it.

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Those were my thoughts, too.

4. katsuma37

LOL I mean, I DO like him. But I know that it can't be! So I wanna settle for friends. xD

5. Lewis

You like him for all of the wrong reasons though, I met most of my straight friends on the basis of liking them as people, not because I wanted to get into their pants. I wouldn't try be friends with this guy because you and I know, you're probably going to make a move one way or another.

I think friends always come naturally, I think he would see that you were interested in him if you asked to hang out and that would probably turn sour. I know for sure that if a guy asked me to hang out or randomly spoke to me, I'd think he was somewhat interested.

6. katsuma37

I guess that's true.......

I DO like his personality, though! And he's the one who talks to me now! I'm pretty sure if I didn't like him, we would naturally become friends! My vision is just clouded....xD But I def see what you're saying.

7. jargon

Then ackowledging that you do like him, I would definitely suggest not trying to get him alone all the time, even if you dont plan on making a move or anything. Dont torture yourself by making it as closer to being a date than necessary p the goal should be to start liking him LESS in a dating sort of way and MORE in a just-friends sort of way.

EDIT: sorry if that's just repeating what was said above, didn't see the posts updating.

8. Lewis

If that's the case and you do generally just like his personality, maybe just try speak to some mutual friends of his or just join in with a conversation. I just wouldn't directly go up to him and be like 'let's be friends/hang-out' xD.

Just be careful. I'm only a little blunt because I worry about people.

9. BudderMC

Agreeing with all the above stuff, I've never really understand how people intentionally "befriend" someone without some ulterior motive. The best friendships just kinda happen, through time and common interest.

So stick with those things. Keep playing with him in-game (your interest) until you find something else you guys do. And when that something else comes up, then you guys can hang out (preferably with a group, as others said) without it coming off as "awkward", since there's a legitimate reason. You can't just force a friendship.

Though I think what's better advice would be to just distance yourself from him. Stick to playing your game and then whatever happens afterwards will just happen. "Planning" this friendship is still of the mentality that something more will eventually come of it (even though it won't).

10. katsuma37

Ah.........so what I'm getting is just let things take their course? xD

Okay! My final thing is just that I worry that we wouldn't become friends just from playing Diablo. Like, I rarely see him at school so there wouldn't be much chance for us to become better friends. D= Is that what's meant to be?

11. davidroberts

having a similar problem. bt i know for sure dat i lv my best friend bt i dnt know whether he is bi or straight or gay . i wana spend as much as time possible with him bt i m forced to avoid him since last few mnths to keep mymind sane. he is trying to find the reason why i m avoiding him and i dnt know what to do abt it

12. BudderMC

Well, yeah, that's kinda the definition of "letting things run their course" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Honestly (and now we're going off the assumption that you are no longer into him), think of it this way: Would you really want to be friends with someone that you never see and have a grand total of 1 thing in common with? I wouldn't write him off, but he certainly wouldn't be the most interesting friend I've had... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. katsuma37

Haha okay, I understand....thanks for the help! ^^ Love your avatar and sig, btw! xD

14. BudderMC

Haha, thanks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And just to clarify what I meant, I didn't mean you shouldn't be friends with the guy, but more that the conditions don't really foster a good friendship, you know? By all means, if a friendship grows out of it, go for it, if you like him (as a friend).

15. katsuma37

Haha okay! I hope a friendship forms...xD

16. insidehappy

well you are crushing on a straight guy and i think you are saying you just want to be friends but you know very well you like him and you want alone time with him becuase you think he is cute and hoping that maybe he likes you. you really are setting yourself up for disappointment if you are hoping that he may like you too. if you want to be friends with him, you would just ask him to hang out like any of your other friends. the mere fact that you are stewing over this and wondering how best to go about it indicates that you are attracted to him and trying to find the best way to get some 1 on 1 time with him without making it look so obvious. my advice to you is to back off. you already said you shoudl hang out. he said for sure. if he wants to hang out with you, he'll let you know. invite him to group stuff first and see if he comes. develoip a real friendship if he is open to that but trying to get one on one and hopping that he is gay is really only going to waste your own time in teh end.

17. PTGriffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I get the impression you like him or you wouldn't be making as big of a deal out of this as you have. Besides, you did say he's hot and nice :icon_bigg

Anyways, from the sound of it, I think you might have some trouble, because from personal experience, anytime I've consciously tried to make someone like me or befriend me, I've failed. Most friendships happen naturally and easily, if you have to force it or try to make it happen, then it's gonna be awkward.

Just be yourself and be chill about it. Don't over think things and treat him like you would any other guy. Be nice and don't be awkward.

have fun :icon_wink

18. katsuma37

haha, yeah, you guys are right. I know you are! I've liked straight guys before and I remember......it never ended well. But, I really can't stop myself! This guy is actually really nice, the ones I liked before were douches. We're living right next door to each other next year! xD So....yeah, I know I'm in for it, but I guess I'll deal with it when it comes. I would seriously prefer to be friends with him, though! He's really nice/not-creeped-out for a straight guy!

Annnnd as an update, he talked to me for like two hours on facebook the other day O_O and we're going to the zoo annnnd six flags soon....so I mean, that's a good start for friendship, right? lolll

19. DanA

Hmmmmmmmm, all of my friends are straight guys, actually. I roll deep in the friend department too... all I can say is just be yourself, respect boundaries, make jokes about your gayness because it will put them at ease and let them know that they can joke about it too (not like, anti-gay jokes, just normal guy stuff like making fun of each other in a brotherhood kinda way).

I learned this, the surefire way to know if a straight guy is totally comfortable with you is if he asks questions like he would any straight guy.

20. katsuma37

Ohhhh, that's actually really helpful! Now that I think about it, the straight guy friends that I'm most comfortable with DO ask me stuff they would ask their other friends. xD

~sigh~ The problem I have now is that he's being really, REALLY nice. I can't tell if he's just putting on an act or if he's actually like that. Cause if he's really that nice, I wouldn't be afraid to increase the amount we talk xD