1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dorms and Parades and Motherbeasts, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nykoru, May 25, 2012.

1. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, this should be interesting.

I'm not quite out yet to my parents. Brought this up before. I'm pretty sure my dad will be cool with it, if he hasn't figured it out or started to suspect (and I'm 80-90% sure that he's got some idea that there's something rainbow-y about me by now XD). My mom's rather conservative and unexposed to the rainbow world, though, and she gets very loud. She's also under a lot of stress at the moment (tons going on this year. Sister graduating, sister marrying, travelling to multiple provinces and the organization thereof, me going into dorm...)

This thread is about that last point :3 It looks like I'm headed for a quad, a four-bedroom apartment residence thingymabob. I'd originally been planning on a single, but the quad really is better. No public bathrooms! However... the apartments are grouped by gender.

See the issue? XD So I have a deadline. As soon as my parents come into contact with my future roommates, the cat's entirely out of the bag. I want to tell them before then. I would rather do it closer to this end of the summer, since my sister's getting married on my move-in day. I was thinking of telling my dad that we have to have an insanely awkward conversation (he's currently working in Yellowknife, so phones/email/texting is the poison already picked) and go from there, and then he can help me sort out the specific timing with the motherbeast.

Also, Pride is coming up. Parade's June 3rd here, and I intend to be in it. I would love to be able to get my mom to go, and if she took it well I might just gut myself and spill the beans afterwards, or something similar. Maybe try to drag the guy I know who'll be there who just got his top surgery done last month over for moral support and non-teary explaining and whatnot. I'm not good at emotionally charged conversations with my mother, and she despises excess emotion and tears. I think it makes her too emotional, so... yeah.

Anyway. The point of this whole thing. Ideas, anyone? Comments, suggestions, or critiques? Another thing that just popped into my head is that it might work for me to head off to the parade and leave a letter for her, or leave a letter at some other point. I work most Saturdays and she works none, so that could work. Or maybe I could just ask my dad to semi-out me to get the ball going and the edge taken off the motherbeast.

Aaallssoo... with regards to the quad-rez-thing, my new uni is going to call up some other unis who have had the four-bedroom thing on for longer (this is the second year or something that this uni's had it, all shiny and new with granite countertops -wiggle-) and see how they've managed the whole trans thing. Hopefully something helpful will come out of that.

2. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Random update, in case anyone cares. I made in into dorm. Any suggestions for dealing with roommates? I don't know yet if I'm going to be placed in a female or male quad. Haven't heard from the rez people, probably won't until Friday.