1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone to talk to.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dc101, May 25, 2012.

1. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I joined yesterday and made my first post and got a nice reply so I thought I'd make my second post today.

It's Friday evening here in the UK and I'm home and feeling a bit depressed and was wondering if anyone knew any good places to talk with other gay/bi people online. I don't actually know anyone that's gay/bi and I'm not out to anyone yet.

Just feeling a bit down and would like someone to talk to.

2. TheGreyMan

Hey, I'm here.

What d'ya want to talk about?

3. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi, I don't know to be honest. Being in the closet isn't easy and talking about it face to face with anyone seems impossible.

4. TheGreyMan

I understood the feeling.

I've known I was gay since I was six years old. Only recently have I been out to a few people who I can talk to about it. It's a terrible feeling of entrapment, loneliness and just plain lack of belonging. You feel isolated and doomed.

It sucks and it's great to have someone who you can say things to. That's what EC is here for :slight_smile:

5. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was so happy to find this site, anywhere else just seems to be guys that want to meet up for a one night stand. I've thought about talking to people face to face but once it's said there's no going back.

I've never had a boyfriend but the idea seems great. I did flirt with a guy once without realising it and then he asked if I thought he was gay, I said 'I don't know, are you?' to which he replied 'what do you think'. I backed away from him in an instant, think I was scared of facing the truth.

6. TheGreyMan

It's very hard. Facing the truth. If someone asked me, I'm not even sure if I'd be able to be honest. I mean I'm in a similar situation with this guy I really like and all of these mixed signals drive me insane.

Also yeah, I don't understand why everyone's obsessed with one night stands. Personally I find them to be worthless and full of regret and depression.

7. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think it's the stereotype of one night stands that puts me off being gay. I got into a really bad situation with a guy I worked with. The situation was perfect because he was happy with just hugging and cuddling and that was it, until he had an affair with one of the women. Turns out he was desperate for affection and that hit me hard.

So the guy you like, do you not know if he's gay then if there's mixed signals?

8. TheGreyMan

I've got no idea of his orientation besides he's dated girls before.

God I just am like so confused though. It's really weird how things are going.

But I'm sure you'll find someone great! Especially as an adult and you don't have to worry about being forced to be with people you don't know who judge you. (aka school.)(you have a job so I'm gonna guess you're 18+.)

9. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm 26 so you're right I don't have to worry about people who judge me but then again no one knows so it's not an issue. I just get the 'not found the right girl yet'. I have come across several guys that give mixed signals and it's really hard to work anything out.

I was brought up to believe being gay is wrong and the idea of two guys sleeping together really repulses me so I need to find a nice bi-curious guy that doesn't want sex.

What happened to the simple times of finding a nice girl, getting married and having some kids. That was my plan when I was growing up.

10. TheGreyMan

Being gay's never easy and unfortunately, in the last 500 years or so, we've regressed and progressed alike. Just remember - Love and companionship in all of its forms have existed since the dawn of time. Do not ever feel wrong due to the fact that a few ignorant members of a race that's only existed for a mere 2.5 million years think that one form of love is wrong and another right.

It's hard to get used to it. Society has tailored us to think heterosexuality is the only option and thankfully, it's changed. But we still face prejudice and those who do not understand. We ourselves often develop internalized homophobia out of the sheer hatred that develops for our own persons and it is unfortunate.

Accepting yourself may take awhile, but it will happen. You're not wrong.

11. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The crazy thing is I know in my head that it's normal and I've seen how happy some people are when they're together and even gay couples that have adopted children, bought a house and live a perfect life. There's just something that's stopping me from living that perfect life. I've known I was gay since I was 16 and I remember being called 'gay' when I was 10 (The age kids first learn what gay is) and to shut them up I said 'yea I'm gay' and got sent to the head teacher and she gave me a 30 minute talk on how 'evil' gay people are. I guess it really stuck somewhere.

I watched 'Prayers for Bobby', I don't know if you've seen it but that film really got to me and in the end I was happy for him that it was all over.

12. TheGreyMan

I've seen it, yeah. Got to me as well.

Things you experience as a child can have negative influences. Maybe you could get an LGBT-therapist or something to help you? Of course I'm always open to speak to you but I doubt I'd be as helpful.

13. rainbowfox

hey we are here to talk :slight_smile:
    I read all of your conversation, first there something that I want to ask, why the idea of two guys sleeping together really repulses you? look, being gay is not only about sex, it's about all the romantic feelings, it's about love and passion. yes we don't fit into rusty stereotypes that media and society dictate us, but who cares, we find love in someone of same gender and that's all.

14. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Talking about it in person is impossible for me at the moment, that's why I joined this site. I hope by talking about it on here that maybe one day I could talk to someone in person about it. I often wish I could be on some nice hot deserted island with the perfect guy and no one else in the world.

I guess it's half myself believing that it's wrong and half being worried what other people might think or say.

It's nice to be able to talk about it on here rather than going insane trying to work it out in my head.

---------- Post added 25th May 2012 at 12:35 PM ----------

Hi rainbowfox thanks for replying. I don't know why the idea of two guys sleeping together makes me feel that way. My mind says the human body wasn't designed to be used that one and maybe how painful it'd be. As I said in a previous post I was happy with hugging/cuddling a straight guy but that's it. A previous flirting scenario with a guy who then came out to me scared the life out of me.

It seems I'm happy around straight guys that like to flirt and hug/cuddle but as soon as I know they're gay/bi it seems to scare me. I suppose there's a lot of psychology to it.

15. rainbowfox

your welcome
    well there are great deal of facts and observation that shows homosexual activities are common in animal kingdom too, just search it, you will find a huge amount of information in that area. so there is nothing to prove what you said, " My mind says the human body wasn't designed to be used that one". yes we are a minority and yes we don't fit in stereotypes, but we are absolutely normal.

16. Harlequin

I'm here if you want to talk as well. :slight_smile:

Well, when you said it's all psychology, that's it... it might be that the whole idea of accepting yourself, fully, is so big that you're almost scared of it. Have you tried joining any GSA or LGBT-related organization? That's a great way to get more comfortable with yourself.

I had, and still have, problems accepting myself, and I don't think they will end until I actually enter a relationship with a girl (I'm bio female) and convince myself that everything will be fine.

17. confusedlady

confusedlady Guest

This is really interesting. I am also the same way, I am very uncomfortable with thinking about sleeping with a woman. I'm perfectly happy hugging and other stuff. In high school all my friends were experimenting and I just didn't want to. It was kind of like how kids were smoking weed and I just didn't think it was for me. Now I'm questioning again, but mainly because I have an emotional attachment to women. I also have ocd. When my anxiety acts up I lose attraction for men, like butterflies and such. I just can't stop thinking I'm in denial or something.

18. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    ↲Thanks for posting and i agree with you, if anyone else came up to me and said they were worried about being gay i'd say don't worry about it because it's natural and most people are accepting of it. I just don't know why i can't follow my own advice.

---------- Post added 25th May 2012 at 11:53 PM ----------

↲i can't even talk about it so joining any sort of group isn't an option at the moment.

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there are always people here on EC if you want to chat, most of us have been in the situation you are in at some point.

20. DanA

Dude, you sound like me. Like, I'm a total flag waving filthy liberal and proud and all "gays are normal and cool people!" but I just couldn't come to terms with it myself until just today, actually.

So, that's the path I took, but you're still questioning, right? So you could end up swinging the other way which is totally cool too. It's totally natural to question your sexuality especially when we live in the Age of Information and every imaginable gender identity or orientation is out there for you to explore and figure yourself out with. I really could not have figured myself out without the internet.

Isn't technology in the modern era majorly rad?