1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he gay, too?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bob94, May 27, 2012.

1. bob94

I know there are a ton of threads asking questions like this, but here it goes:

A couple of weeks ago, I went out with some of my friends and there was this reeeeally cute guy there who I hadn't met before. I could tell right away that he was very outgoing. We started off just talking about normal stuff, but as the day went on, he always seemed to want to be by me. He even touched me a couple of times (just my arm, and that sort of thing). Near the end of the night, we went out and ate, and I was the last to order my food and sit down. The only seat open was by the cutie (I was quite happy, of course). He asked me if I had a girlfriend, and I told him that I didn't. His exact words were, "that's a shame." When I was eating, he said something along the lines of "I like how you eat." I had two thoughts on this comment: he was either joking and trying to be funny, or he was being flirty. He always kept eye contact when we talked. And the day afterward, my friend told me that she went to his church with one of her other friends, and she said that he missed me.

Fast forward to last night. We are friends on Facebook, and he asked me if I wanted to go to his house for a bonfire they were having. Of course, I went. We didn't talk a ton (there were a lot of people there, and I mainly just hanged out with the people I knew). When we did talk, he was, again, very touchy (touching my arms again, and even my chest once!). When I was about to leave, I started saying bye to everyone. I went up to him to say bye, and he was in a hammock with this girl (which really made me feel depressed inside). But then he asked me to give him a hug. I leaned down and hugged him (while he was in the hammock with the girl). He then said, "that wasn't a good enough hug. You didn't even squeeze very hard." And so I hugged him again and left.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm really confused. It seems like I'm getting a lot of "gay" signs from him, but then there's the whole thing with the girl in the hammock. I never saw them kiss or anything, but it was dark out, so who knows. So what do you guys think?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... it seems pretty likely that he likes you, and if I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess he's gay.

Now... he may not be out, and he may not even be in a place of accepting it himself, so just because he's putting off those signs doesn't mean that he'd acknowledge it if you ask, so I'd suggest being a little cautious.

But that said, nothing wrong with asking. Of course, you have to come out yourself in order to do that but... maybe the time is right to do that?? :slight_smile:

3. bob94

Chip: I think you're right about the whole him not accepting it himself thing. I heard his brother making fun of someone they know for being gay, so it's not as if he's in a very accepting environment. I'm kind of in the same situation (my dad is very homophobic), so coming out is just so scary!!

4. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Coming out is always scary :') if I were in your position, I would probably just confide in this guy xx unless, of course, you feel ready to come out to everyone. But if you tell him, he'll most likely tell you... Good luck xo

5. Ianthe

Maybe you could hang out with him some more, until you get comfortable enough to come out to him.

It is scary, I know. But it's impossible for you to ever date a guy who doesn't know you like guys. So really, if you want it to go anywhere, you are going to have to be brave and take the risk.

Some gay guys have a really close female friend that they have, like, a platonic soul mate thing going on with. Non-sexual hammock sharing is a strong possibility in that case.

You could easily ask him about the girl, and find out if she's a girlfriend or what. I mean, he asked you about girlfriends before, so it's clearly a permissible topic.

If you want to feel out his opinion about gay people, you could bring up his brother making fun of gays. Make sure to avoid seeming like you are homophobic yourself, though, or like you think that's cool. You could also talk about Obama's recent support of marriage equality.

If it's easier, you can always come out in a private facebook message, since he's your facebook friend.

6. Insomniac

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As you said , you've got a lot of gay signs which shows he likes you but a strong possibility says he may be in the closet now. So I think hanging out with him and more chatting can help you find out more information about him. Just be careful and don't make a big deal out of this friendship in order not to get hurt if he tells you he's not gay. (or he doesn't accept it)
    Don't be afraid of coming out ! I don't mean you must go and come out to him right now but you eventually should come out to everyone and be sure that it will make you feel better and more relaxed. :slight_smile:

7. bob94

That's such a great point! I myself have had a really close girlfriend (girl who is a friend lol) since 3rd grade. And on his Facebook, a lot of his pictures are him with a lot of other girls.
    Again, I am similar because most of my friends are girls.

8. RealityCheck

All this is good for speculation, but your best bet is to just come out to the guy. As we all do, you will probably analyze this every which way from Sunday to find your answers. In the end, the vast majority of the time you kind of just have to let yourself be a little vulnerable and see what reaction you get. If you want to invest the time into beating around the bush, you can inquire about his history with your common friends.

---------- Post added 27th May 2012 at 09:05 AM ----------

On top of that, your friend that went to his church may be a good place to start. I find it interesting that she claims a guy missed you. I guess I would need to know more about the context of the conversation, but it is interesting to say the least. Not as much about him, but about her ideas of you and your sexuality. It just caught my interest since you say you aren't out at all.

#8 RealityCheck, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  9. bob94

I've been thinking the same thing about my friend knowing about my sexuality. She's the same one who I've been friends with for so long. But the other day we were talking and she started talking about what my future wife would be like and that kind of stuff. So I think she might suspect that I'm gay. She's moving out of state in July for college, and I plan on telling her before then, because I would feel so guilty not letting her know.

Anyway, it seems like the guy at the very least likes me in a friendly way. He goes to school with my cousin, and my cousin told me, "He came up to me and was like 'I love your cousin!'" So it seems like he talks about me when I'm not around, so that's a good sign! I think I'm gonna send him a message saying something like, "So are you and that girl you were in the hammock with going out?"

10. bob94

Not much has happened, but I thought I'd give an update.
    The day after the bonfire, I messaged him on Facebook:
    Me: "So last night was fun, but I got bug bites all over my legs. Thanks a lot!"
    Him: "my plan worked hahahahahah(evil laugh)"
    Me: "You and your evil ash-covered marshmallows! So are you going out with that girl you were in the hammock with?"

My most recent message was sent on Sunday, and he still hasn't responded. I guess he either just doesn't want to answer it, or he just hasn't seen it yet. Only time will tell (trying to stay positive)!
    Edit: the whole marshmallows thing was because he burnt a lot of the marshmallows.

11. Gen

Gen

I agree with the he was probably friends with the girl in the hammock thing. Atleast half of my friends are female(Just because it just happens that way lol.) And I guess it could look like I like one of them from the outside. The text was the best route, just being up front with your questions.

Anyway, he is quite flirty it seems. Usually if someone is way in the denial/closet they wouldnt be so open. He is probably the type of guy(like me) who is more open and flirty but wouldnt just be like "BE MINE O_O" lol. He could be in the same grey area your are. Either way its always a win-win to hug and flirt with a cute guy so dont stress it too much and just injoy your friendship :slight_smile:.

12. bob94

Looks like you're right! He messaged me back about an hour ago saying, "Woahhh (my name), we're just close friends." At first I thought he meant that he and I were just close friends, and then I realized what he meant. There's still hope :icon_bigg

13. Gen

Gen

Good Luck. He actually does sound interested. Keep us updated because if he isnt he had us both fulled :C lol.

14. insidehappy

the guy is interested in you. the girl know he is gay. no straight guy would say "squeeze a little harder" while in front of a girl they are dating. he likes you, he is asking about you with people you know, and has flirted with you. you need to ask him to hang out one on one..."hey what are you doing this weekend? wanna hang out and do....(fill in the blank)" you need one on one time with him. the flirting will keep going and then you can tell him your secret if you feel comfortable. feel him out a bit first. if he is flirting, flirt back. a lot of times guys do not want to verbally "say they are gay" they would prefer for things to just happen naturally and come out through playful flirting etc.

15. bob94

Just thought I'd update everybody. Not much has happened, but yesterday we sort of had a conversation on Facebook. My friend put a status update, and I was teasing her in the comments. Here's how the discussion went (I'll take their names out):
    Friend: You're a Loser lol
    Crush: lol :slight_smile:
    Me: Don't "Lol" at her!! She's abusive to me!
    Crush: lol soory bobby :slight_smile:
    Me: ...You're forgiven...:slight_smile:
    Crush: thks booby
    Me: Now YOU'RE verbally abusing me! Calling me booby...jeez
    Crush: lol sorry again booby
    Friend: Dont take that verbal abuse (his name)..not right. You should be ashamed of yourself booby!
    Friend: Dont take that verbal abuse (his name)..not right. You should be ashamed of yourself booby!
    Crush: lol tht does sound better booby lol
    Me: Heard you the 1st time, (her name)!
    Friend: My phone messed up and did that. Now what's your excuse for messing up my name?
    Me: Times like these remind me why I hate my name. Well, you're kind of a mess up, (her name), so I thought it was appropriate.
    Crush: (her name) u know what to do to booby lol
    Me: And what would THAT be??? Have you been scheming?
    Friend: What's that (his name)? Do please remind me, there's all this jiberish that has to do with a guy named booby on my wall..so weird. :slight_smile:
    Crush: lol :slight_smile: (her name) u make me laugh

Eventually, I'll probably ask him if he wants to hang out (if he doesn't ask me first). When we're both on Facebook, I so badly want to talk to him, but don't really know what to say. I just want to take things slowly and make sure he's gay before I tell him anything. I've read a few similar threads on this site, and not all of them have ended the way people wanted them to, so I really want to be sure before I tell him. Thank you guys for your advice & opinions :slight_smile:

16. Ianthe

It is your turn to invite him to something. He invited you to the bonfire thing. So it is definitely your move. If you don't invite him to do something soon, you risk him thinking you don't like him or something.

If you wait to know he is gay before telling him you are, he might do the same thing, and then nothing will ever happen.

You should come out to the church girl as soon as possible, so that she can help you out with all this. You should also come out to your friend since third grade, if it's not the same person. If you tell them you like this guy, they will be able to help you.

Ask him to hang out. See if he's free after church tomorrow, or sometime in the coming week. You don't have to worry about him thinking anything about it, because he has been going around making sure to tell people who know you that he "loves" you and stuff. He missed you the day after you met. Regardless of whether he's gay, he definitely wants to hang out with you, so ask him to hang out. Don't feel like you need to come up with something specific to do, either--just hanging out is fine.

From his perspective, he has already put himself out there a bit, and if you don't make sure he knows you want to be friends, he might feel bad about it.

Do you respond in kind when he touches your arms and stuff?

17. bob94

The church girl and the friends since 3rd grade girl are the same person :slight_smile:. I'll admit, I acted uncomfortable when he would touch me in front of a bunch of people because I'm "not out at all." But when there weren't many people around, I just smiled and let him do it. I think I might be giving him mixed signals, so that's something I'll have to work on. You're right, it's my turn to make the next move. The sooner the better. I'll have to think of something and (hopefully) send him a message tomorrow. Thank you :slight_smile:

18. bob94

Well I just came out to my friend. Here's how it started: She told me I needed to socialize more, and said that I should get ahold of my crush. This made me think that she knew something, so I told her that I had something really important to tell her, and I told her. She asked me if I was joking, and when I told her I wasn't, she told me that she loved me and didn't see me any differently. We talked for about an hour, and she asked me if I had anyone that I liked. I told her about my crush. She told me that she used to like him, too! I asked her if she thought he was gay, and she said that she thought he might be. So she basically just knows as much as I do. I told her that I want to hang out with him, but it would be awkward if it were just the two of us, and I asked her if she would come, too. She said that she's down with that.

Wow. I'm still in shock that I actually told somebody. When I woke up this morning, I never thought that this would be that day. So that's how my life's going now. Pretty good start :slight_smile:

Oh, and earlier today, my crush commented on my new profile pic (I was wearing glasses, which I don't normally wear). He said: "Dang, booby :slight_smile:" Today was a good day.

#18 bob94, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. Ianthe

Congratulations! I'm so glad it went so well!

First-ever coming outs are always an occasion for dancing bananas.
    (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

If you are inviting him to do something with you and your friend, you can suggest that he bring hammock girl--hammock girl is his counterpart to your friend remember.

I just think that he might feel uncomfortable hanging out with the two of you without someone of his own there for support. But if he and your friend are good friends, it might not be necessary.

Overall, I think it would be better if you could hang out with him alone. Would it be good enough if she was just there to start and then had to leave early? (In this case you would not invite hammock girl.)

20. TroubledRyan

Please keep us updated :grin:.