1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When asked if I have a girlfriend...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BudderMC, May 27, 2012.

1. BudderMC

...how do I go about explaining that I don't (and won't) have a girlfriend to someone I'm not coming out to yet?

A friend from high school wants to hang out, since we haven't in a loooong time (probably over a year), which is cool. When I go to his house, his mom almost always asks if me (and my brother, when he's there) have girlfriends yet, and why we don't since we're such handsome/nice/whatever boys, etc. etc. She obviously means it in a good way, but since I've taken up the ideal of "I'm no longer lying about my sexuality", how do I politely avoid/shut down this conversation?

The only reason I'm not coming out to her/them is because since they're from back home, there's reasonable potential for my family to hear it from them, which I don't want yet. This wasn't so much an issue before when I would awkwardly say I didn't have a girlfriend yet (in hopes I would still get one), but now that I won't (and don't want to) get one, I no longer have that semi-valid excuse.

I know it sounds like a straightforward question to answer, but it seems really complicated for some reason. :/

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't have a girlfriend right now because you're not focused on dating. You're more focused on __________.

3. SnowyWinters

Say "bitches only like bad boys". xD

4. Shade

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just say that you don't have one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That's the truth right? Even if you never get one, like I never will, say that you don't have one. You're still being honest! :grin: Also follow Pret Allez's post, just say that you're too busy focusing on whatever. If they are REALLY bugging you with that question just say that you would rather not answer the question, and politely say that you would rather change the topic.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was suggested above, you could just say that I don't have a girlfriend and are not concentrating on it, as you have too many other things going on at the moment. You are happy with your life at the moment.

6. rx79g

I just say things like "I don't want a relationship right now", but that works best if one ended relatively recently. Just go with what prey allez said, that's the most solid responce I've seen.

7. JBH9405

Honestly, you don't have to really offer a response to why you don't have girlfriend. A simple, "No, I'm not dating anyone right now" or "No, I don't have a girlfriend" works well. It just feels awkward because it almost feels like an interrogation question, where you have to provide an explanation for your relationship status.

All my social support thinks getting married and having babies is life's ultimate goal (I'm more career oriented myself). So, I get this question all the time. Initially, I would provide an excuse such as "I'm too busy" or "I'm not looking for a relationship." Now I just say "No." If they ask why, I say somewhat jokingly "girls aren't interested in me." Since it is slightly self-deprecating, the people who ask usually don't press it further, and often times will give you a compliment like "You're so handsome" or "You're a great catch." It works for me every time. :slight_smile:

8. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Here's a few you can toss at her:

"I'm focusing on my studies, and do not need distractions."

"I haven't met a girl that interests me, and I wish to save myself for the right one."

"I'm not sexually attracted to girls. I prefer men, and one day hope to have a handsome, loving beautiful guy in my life."

"I prefer not to discuss my personal relations with anyone."
    (this one will get the gossip mill grinding)

9. King

King Guest

"Do you have a girlfriend?"
    "Nope!"
    "why not?"
    "I don't want one!"

and if they ask...
    "Why not?"
    "I haven't met one that's my type."
    BECAUSE IT'S TRUE! :grin:

10. Ianthe

Whatever you do though, if you are purposely hiding your sexuality, it's going to feel like lying. I mean, there are lots of ways to evade the question, but you still know what you would have said if you were really honest.

But any of these suggestions will work.

11. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just say you're not interested in being in a relationship right now, e.g. say "I'm too busy" or "I haven't found a girl that interests me." You can also simply say that you don't want a girlfriend because you don't like the idea of being in a relationship, or something like that.

12. FJ Cruiser

I've been asked this question plenty. Just say you're more focused on other things. They might assume it's schoolwork (which is part of the truth), but they also don't have to know that it's because you're focused on guys instead. :grin:

13. Lewis

Ugh, I get this all of the time. I just say nope or I go off the subject completely. My mum has stopped saying it recently, but sometimes she says 'oh if you go to ______'s party, you might meet a nice girl.' I just laugh, what more can I do. It's really annoying though, I just want to shout 'NO, I'LL BE CHECKING OUT ALL OF THE HOT GUYS, THANKS!'

I guess all we can do, if we're not ready to come out yet, is to avoid it or just simply say no. Good luck, and let us know if you get asked and what your response was! :slight_smile:

14. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get that all the time, I just try to laugh it off. Sometimes are harder than others. The easiest one I had was when my sister told me about a single friend of hers. The conversation was short:

Her: Do you want to go on a date with her?
    Me: Not a chance
    Her: What, you don't trust me?
    Me: Would you?

We are brother and sister so being a smart-ass didn't seem out of the ordinary. I think the trick is to tell half truths, it sucks but it is better than being outed.

15. davidroberts

he he ya dat happens evryday. they even speculate dat i have many many gfs as i m close to many many gals in college. they also call me a big flirt. i think best is to jus give a smile and let them speculate whatevr dey want..
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. BudderMC

"Too busy with work" is ALWAYS the truth with engineering, and pretty much my universal excuse for everything :grin:

That's the answer I was afraid of (even though I definitely knew that myself). Oh well. I guess I was hoping there was some way to cheat the system in not really lying but not having to come out either. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Otherwise, thanks everyone, I think I'll just stick to "I'm too busy with school" and stuff.

There's only been one friend I've had who's legitimately hounded me about being gay (before I even knew, geez), and I think the only way I ever got her to stop asking why I didn't have a girlfriend was that "I was honestly content with being single for the moment". Well, I was content being single... because I was far too afraid to go on a date with anyone at that point, guy or girl xD. I'm throwing this one out here in case anyone else could use it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Vanille

I've always wondered about this because my family members, (especially my mom) ask me if I have a boyfriend a lot. I've said no so many times I start to think they will get suspicious haha. Same thing with my friends. Though sometimes I feel like telling the truth but when I actually think about telling, I get this really panicky feeling and I feel really scared all of a sudden and just don't say. I do feel like a coward but I also feel like the timing isn't right... Why is this so hard to say?!? Anyway I found this thread helpful.

18. Vesper

Sorry to hear that you're getting the "do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend?"/"are you dating someone"-type question as well. It's a pain in the ass. Right now, I'd be inclined to tell you to tell them that it's none of their business, but that would probably backfire, so just go with what Pret Allez said and tell them you're busy with schoolwork or finding work.

Eventually you're going to have to face the questions again and find out that you can no longer use anything as cover. When that time comes, you'll probably have to tell them the truth. Before then, though, milk the "I'm busy with school/job-hunting" explanation for all that it's worth, because it's easy to accept.

19. toms7

they ask me all the time if i find someone i dont like lying and i am saying i havent :frowning2: its sad :frowning2: sometyimes wanna cry i am such an emotional guy

20. Naren

Try the Canadian Girlfriend tactic? Dunno, I'm not big on lies myself so whenever sexuality gets brought up I change the subject.