1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to tell my new girlfriend I'm bi

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bartlett, May 27, 2012.

1. bartlett

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a 28 year old bi male. I just started dating a girl. I'm out to all my close friends. She and I know a bunch of the same people. She will find out so I have to tell her before things get too far along. I just don't know how if i should tell tomorrow or wait. I can see my self with her for a long time.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to Empty Closets! Glad you found us.

I would recommend you tell her as soon as you can. Before you do, I would emphasize that you need her support and that it's an important, private thing about yourself. That should disarm her and make her understand how serious it is, and how having her not say a hurtful thing, like "do I need to get tested?" is really important.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC! Glad you joined.

The sooner you sit down and talk with her the better it is going to be for the both of you and for the relationship. Maybe try going for a coffee with her or for a walk and let her know about your sexual orientation. Try not to make a big deal out of it as it might make it easier on you to talk to her.

Make sure to let her know as to why you want her to know. That said, I would not suggest that you say "I know that we know some of the same people so might as well tell you because you are going to find out eventually...."

I would suggest that you think about what she means to you and how you feel about her. If you can see yourself with her for a long time, that is something to emphasize. In part, any relationship is about being able to build trust and being honest about oneself. Be honest with her and let her know what makes you, you.

The chances of it going well (and assuming she is fine with it) are probably much higher the sooner you talk with her.

Hope it goes well for you!