1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

emotionally drained - can't take much more of this.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dc101, May 28, 2012.

1. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    being gay and denying it is draining me. Previously i used to snap at friends and get annoyed at the simplest things. Now i've started doing it to my family. I'm pushing everyone away from me and they don't understand why and i can't bring myself to tell anyone. It's not as though anyone asks what's wrong anymore. I don't know what to do and i'm hiding in a corner away from everyone nearly crying as i write this.

2. Danninic7

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Please talk to someone about what you are going through. I am currently working with a therapist to get my head around my recent shift in desires. I have blown my family off and I have created such bad vibes that I seem to repel people, but not intentionally. I have had to had to talk to my family about my sexuality and it is a little better. It does get better, slowly but surely, it will get better.

3. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    i know it gets better and i keep telling myself that. Talking about it is impossible and i think i'm going to have a breakdown before anything happens.

4. DanA

Welcome aboard... cause we were in the same boat.

I did the same thing. I was bitchy and depressed and snapped at people. It culminated in me coming out. That was my crossroads. You might not be ready to come out yet, but this might be the way your totally sane, totally normal brain is letting you know "hey, you can't do this forever."

Talked out all of your feelings here, it helps tremendously, trust me.

5. Lewis

I used to feel exactly the same, before I suddenly (it was very sudden) accepted and embraced it. I started to watch a lot of videos about being gay and reading a lot of articles, looking at forums (like this one) and seeing that others are in a very similar situation. All of these things made me realise that it's not something I can change, it's not something I should want to change and that it's a part of me.

I went from being very very scared and like you denying my sexuality, to really accepting it. It was a very quick transition (not sure if others have experienced a similar thing) and I have never looked back. Like others have said, discuss it some more and try watch some videos (coming out stories etc.), because that really helped me a lot.

6. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    thanks for your posts, i don't know what's left to talk through. I hate myself and i hate homosexuality and still think it's wrong completely lost now. I've tried reading and watching other peoples coming out stories and i can see how amazingly well they went but i just can't imagine people thinking of me like that. If it goes wrong there's no going back.

7. davidroberts

it has happened to me many a times. i m not gona give u any advice bt will tell ya what i do wen i feel i m in a bad mood.
    1. go and hang out with ur closest frens
    2. listen to ur favourite music
    3. think about only a day at a time. like what will i do today . never think too much abt future. how will i be happy later. blah blah.. jus plan for a day max tmrw. abt college?school
    etc
    4. keep urself busy with ur wrk / hobbies.
    5. wenevr u feel sad do one small good thing for smbdy anybdy and anything wich makes smbdy smile. for eg give ur mom/old teacher/lost frens a call jus to say hi

8. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for your post but I don't think any of those ideas will help me. I've got to the point where I'm not interested in going out and doing anything so when friends call to go out I just say maybe another time. They get to the point where they stop calling. Favourite music is anything depressing like Moby or Adele. I only ever take things a day at a time, although I try to pin point an eventful day in the near future as something to set my mind on but there's nothing at the moment. If I called someone just to say hi they'd think i'm crazy as I never call without a reason.

I currently volunteer as an escape from my life and to pass some time. I'm also a workaholic so that I don't have time to sit and think - thinking is bad.

9. davidroberts

ya so u cn go with no 4 :grin: :grin:

10. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's the plan at the moment but I've been doing that for too long. I think I need the next step. I'm not suicidal (far from it, please don't think for a second that I'd consider it) but sometimes I wonder how nice it is to solve everything at once.

11. Just Passing

I go through the same sort of deal sometimes. In my case, it's when people, family or friends (more so the former) get on my case for something either important or irrelevant and I snap at them partly down to that issue alongside the back stabbing thought that my sexuality would make things worse if they knew.

It's the idea that our sexuality would make us appear worse to the people we love that makes us snap at others and it's something you need to try and forget about it, otherwise it will as you say make you emotionally drained.

12. BudderMC

I was really harsh to my family when I was going through the same thing... so I feel you. Try try try your hardest to not break those relationships. I'm still feeling the after-effects of doing that now, 2/3 years later, even though I'm in a way better place than I was before. It's one of those things you can't "undo".

I don't know if it'll work for you or anything, but if I remember how I was feeling... it sounds like you're at a point where it's always on your mind, but you don't want to think about it. If I had to suggest, honestly, just take some time and do nothing but think about it. Watch "it gets better" videos, do research, lurk EC a lot, just do whatever you can to actually let yourself explore the idea of being gay. Right now, your body and mind are working so hard to prevent yourself from thinking about something that is literally taking over all of your thoughts anyways... it might be worth it to stop resisting momentarily and see that it really isn't that bad.

But again, that might not help. Only you really know what's good for you, right? If talking with me would help (for some reason, maybe because I can relate), feel free to let me know.

13. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for your post and you're right it is taking over my thoughts. I have searched this site and even search the 'it gets better' videos on youtube. I also listen to lady gaga's Born this way. I've even gone to dating sites and looked at profiles and thought to myself 'what if i was in a relationship with him'.

I think it's all the messages i received growing up that being gay is wrong along with the stereotypes of guys just wanting sex that's really making it so hard. It would also help if I was closer to my family, none of us ever talking about anything like that. My mum had cancer last year and all she said is 'I've got cancer' and that's it. We didn't talk about it and she didn't want us to visit her at the hospital. When I did turn up she said go home I'll be back in a couple of days. The longest conversation we've had is about the weather.

14. toms7

i feel that all the time , i need vacation alone but cant do ... !

15. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Vacation sounds nice, I've never had one of those. I used to go to the beach late at night and just listen to the waves. It was so peaceful but the beach is 25 miles away and not very safe now.

16. BudderMC

I'm sorry to hear about your mom (and your family dynamic).

But yeah, that's partly why I was suggesting to just let yourself think about it for a while... in hopes that maybe you'll come across something that helps break down some of those notions you were brought up with, and that will stick because you're letting it stick. If that makes any sense.

This part I'm about to say I'm even more uncertain about than the first stuff (so if someone wants to give insight, I'd appreciate it) but if you felt remotely comfortable with it, maybe talking about some of your personal stuff with your mom might help take her mind off her troubles. This depends on your dynamics of course, she might honestly just not want to talk about it, but it's a possibility I suppose. :/

17. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I couldn't talk to her about anything personal whether she wants to or not. All my life I've had 'home life' and 'outside life' where the two never mix. All she ever wanted to know is if I'd be home for dinner other than that we don't talk about anything.

18. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I used to go into a state of not wanting to talk to anyone or just wanting to be left alone. I just to take it as just a bad day but maybe it was related to the denial stuff. I still sorta do it sometimes and well I just think... one day it'll get better. Stupid thing is a I know my family would accept the fact that I'm gay, just haven't plucked up the courage to tell them yet

19. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm like that most days, when I'm at home or work I just want to be left alone. I think it's because everyone I encounter just wants to complain about the weather no matter how hot or cold it is it's never just right. If they're not complaining about the weather it's about the state of the world and the economy..... rant over :slight_smile:

20. Naren

Oh god, you sound like me. I did that for a while until I realized I was hurting people who never hurt me. Now I just give people a sad smile and go off by myself when it gets bad. Sorry to end here - g2g!