1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my brother...maybe.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nemo39122, May 28, 2012.

1. Nemo39122

My older (and only) brother is coming home tomorrow, for the entire summer before he goes to law school in Colorado this fall. Obviously by the thread title, I'm considering coming out to him, for several reasons.

1) I just don't want to hide it anymore.

2) This is the last time we'll really get to spend alot of time together for I don't know how long. He's going to law school, I'm moving out too...there's holidays, but that's just different.

3) I'm pretty sure he knows already anyway lol. He's always joking that I'm gay anyway. Well, more like implying. Don't worry, he does NOT make gay jokes. I wouldn't even be considering this if he was even remotely homophobic. I know he would be accepting.

There are a few things I'm worried about, besides the usual freaking out about coming out.
    Possible reasons not to:

1) He's totally accepting of LGBT people. I know what you're thinking, "how is that a reason NOT to tell him?!"....here's the thing. He's very accepting. To the point where he doesn't think it's a big deal. To the point where he doesn't understand why it's incredibly important to keep it from some people. People like our parents.

2)....ok so maybe that's the only reason not to.

Anyway...I really just needed to type this out so I can sort out my thoughts a bit better, but I would appreciate a little input here. Thoughts?

Thanks (*hug*)

2. Deaf Not Blind

hmmm..
    um if at the time it seems right, do it. and if things not end up right, wait.

3. Nemo39122

I just remembered the other reason for maybe not telling him:

This will be the first time ever coming out to family. With friends it's different, you can get away from them if things don't go well lol. Can't really do that with family. So...yeah.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thanks Deaf Not Blind for your reply, that's probably what I'll end up doing. :slight_smile: