1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by smartguy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. smartguy

not having kids
    adoption is always an option (and sperm banks if youre lesbian)
    but how do you guys deal with the fact that you won't ever have your own kids?

im personally not that great with kids and im not that bothered about not having any.

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

If i was with a guy I would be upset.Idk,I think some woman are lucky.If they wanted to have a kid and take care of it on their own without a mate.They can just get pregnant however they wish and have a kid.If I wanted one......well I wouldn't even know how to even try!

3. step49x

What do you mean, "you won't have your own kids?" If you really want kids, you can always adopt. You could also try to find a surrogate mother (if you're a guy, that's a woman that will have a baby for you), if you wanted it to truly be your own. If you really want kids, there are certainly ways. :wink:

4. Hollywood

im great with kids but couldnt see myself dealing with one for 18 years. im a pretty bitchy babysittier haha

5. Hmm I like kids and it kind of saddens me that I probably won't be able to have any =\

6. smartguy

well surrogate mothers work if your into that stuff. i personally wouldn't go that route. but im referring to the feeling women get when they give birth themselves. that attachment is nearly impossible to achieve otherwise.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I personally don't have to deal with this issue. I dislike children more than most people I know, and that dislike has never cooled at any point throughout my life.

Well, even if you were straight, you wouldn't be able to achieve the same connection that a mother feels with her child after giving birth. It's something us men have to deal with. :icon_sad:

8. acorn7

I don't know... it kind of bothers me, but I don't think I'd adopt. Does anybody know kids who've grown up with same sex parents? Maybe in 20, 30 years it'll be more socially acceptable, but right now, I feel like it'd be a social handicap for the kid. I hate it, but I think it's true.

As an aside, I can't stand crying babies :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So I probably wouldn't be too great with them...

9. Psychedelic Bookmarks

i don't mind, really. i'd be happy to adopt. it helps a kid have a loving family and it doesn't contribute to overpopulation, so even if i was straight i would want to do it...

10. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I will probably adopt anyway, having had a lot of personal experience of it. But I think that life is full of hurdles that you cross when you get there. I'm just trying to get used to being gay first; I can't face every possible consequence of being gay just at the moment, because then being gay becomes too overwhelming.

But I think that, as things that don't kill you only make you stronger, if you have managed to come to terms with being gay, then hopefully one day you could come to terms with not having biological children. But that said, there are *lots* of options out there with today's science - so really you don't have to rule it out at all!!