1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I "accidentally" come out to my crush?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UncertainHopes, Jun 1, 2012.

1. UncertainHopes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I had an idea on a way to indirectly come out to my crush. Im thinking of texting him my tumblr, then saying "oops wrong person" and if he goes to check it out, then seeing my pride flag on there. So do you think its a good idea?

2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could be, although it seems that if he's somebody you feel like you can come out to you should probably come out to him directly.

3. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure, as good as any. That won't exactly be coming out, though, because that's very vague.

Go for it, anyhow.

4. UncertainHopes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just have an issue bringing it up, cuz he always seems to be around people..

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thingabout that situation is that it relies on him going to your Tumblr, noticing the pride flag and mentioning it to you. If one of those things doesn't happen, you'll be stuck in limbo wondering if he saw it, if he noticed and understood the flag, if he's too shy to bring it up, if it makes him uncomfortable, and so on and so forth. Instead if being out to him you'll be uncertain whether he knows, and that can be very awkward. If you want to come out to him, do it in a way that's clear.

6. bob94

I agree with Maddy. If everything doesn't go exactly right, then you're stuck wondering if he saw it.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The funny thing about crushes is that they tend to make us WAY over-think every little thing we say to and do around the person we're crushing on. I can tell you from personal experience that people with crushes rival fan-fiction writers when it comes to over-analysis. And we tend to rival bad movie villains in how complex our schemes are to act on our crush (and they tend to work just as often).

Here's what I think will happen if you follow through on your plan. Worst case scenario: your crush gets the text, sees that it wasn't for him, then puts it out of his mind and goes on with his day. Actually, worst case scenario is that he thinks there's something fishy about it and is put off. Best case scenario? He goes on your Tumblr blog out of curiosity, sees the pride flag, makes the connection, and realizes... that you're gay.

See, when we gay people fall victim to a crush's influence, we are prone to get this idea in our head that if the person we're crushing on finds out that we swing that way, they'll immediately fall for us and ask us out. That doesn't happen; life demands way more of us than that. For one thing, it demands that we feel that way about someone who swings our way as well. Never forget that about 90% of the population is straight; your chances of your crush liking guys is one in ten. And even if your crush does like guys, him finding out that you like guys too won't be enough to make him ask you out. Even if he already feels the same way you do (which is in no way guaranteed), he'll probably be just as nervous as you are, so you can't count on him to make the first move.

You already have his phone numbers; you've made way more progress than most people make with their crushes. So don't beat around the bush. Don't over-complicate this so that if it doesn't work out, you can tell yourself you "tried you best" and your plan was what held you back. It's going to be scary, but without a doubt, the most sure-fire way to successfully do what you want to do is to just do it.

So what should you do? You already have his number, so you can text him; that way, you don't have to wait until he's not around people. You can start with something like, "Hey, can I tell you something?" When you get confirmation from him, say something like, "I don't know whether you know it already or not, but I'm gay. I wanted to tell you so I don't feel like I have to hide it around you anymore." Bam, it's done. No wondering whether he saw it, no worrying about whether it will work, etc.

Plus, if you come out to him directly, you can see (well, read) his reaction immediately, instead of wondering what his reaction was when (if) he saw the pride flag on your blog. And you can use his reaction to gauge whether telling him you like him would be a good idea or not.

In short, to quote John Green in his "Thoughts on Romance and Sex" video, "I'm going to tell you what I tell Henry [his son] several times a day: Use your words!" :slight_smile:

8. Koll

I wouldn't suggest it.

Don't indirectly tell him you're gay. Just come out and say it.

It's not like theres a higher chance of him 'falling' for you if you come out indirectly..

9. Ianthe

You could use an "accidental" text like that as an excuse to come out to him... Like, you send the text with your tumblr on it, and the next text says, "Oh, crap! That wasn't for you! Could you not tell everyone I'm gay, please? I'm not really ready to be totally out yet... "