1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guidance Required Please

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dc101, Jun 2, 2012.

1. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi Everyone, it's been over a week since I joined this site and have been feeling a lot better but would like some guidance.

I'm still in the closet and not out to anyone, I've alienated myself from all of my friends because I was just too depressed to go out or make conversation on the phone. It's been about a year since I've been out socially but I do still work. I don't have anything in common with colleagues but make small talk about the weather.

Over the past few months I have mood swings where one day I'm really happy and another I'm really depressed and snap and everyone. On my bad days I know there are going to be good days so I try to just get through it but I'm still annoying people. The problem is they don't understand why I snap at them and they can generally hold a grudge for a while. The fact that they know I'll snap at them again at some point generally keeps that grudge going. Although I do apologise when I have a good day.

The guidance I would like is some suggestions on limiting the bad days and any sort of ideas to prevent myself from snapping at people on the bad days. I've thought about staying away from people but that's not easy when I'm working.

You'll be pleased to know that today is a good day so I promise I won't snap at you if you post below. :icon_bigg

2. biffy89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have these mood swings quite often you could have some sort of bipolar disorder, maybe mixed stated if the bad days are more common. While I may be jumping to conclusions, you may find having a conversation with your doctor helpful, especially if your socially excluding yourself

3. rainbowfox

well I have the same problem, esp with my mom, poor old lady is always kind and sweet with me, but when I'm down from nowhere, even in response to her kindnesses i bark at her, it feels really bad :frowning2: when I get better I apologize, and always she says you are young these reactions are natural, but this doesn't make me feel better it just ad to my feeling of guilt.
    the new method that I'm using are based on to headlines,
    1) before having any conversation with any one I try to cheer myself up, by some pieces of music or stuff like that.
    2) if the first one doesn't work, I tell them that by no reason I'm kinda blue and I'll be alright soon but need some time and space (this one brought the snaps to the minimum point :slight_smile: )
    well these are all I can suggest, sorry if they are not really good :slight_smile:

4. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for your replies, I know it's not bipolar and it's always related to being gay. It's the days that I wake up feeling really down because I've been single for many years. I never know when I'm going to have a go at someone, I always tell myself that I'm not in a good mood so just don't comment on anything to anyone. The problem is as soon as someone says something I snap.

The example I can give is that yesterday I was at work and brought in a pack of chocolates and one of the ladies said she's not eating any because she's being healthy. I ate most of them and left one for later. I didn't tell anyone and it's common that if chocolates are left laying around they get eating. I went back to it later and it was gone and she said she ate it. I then snapped at her with ' you said you was going to be healthy' and 'how could you eat my last chocolate'. Now if she did that today I'd just make a joke and say 'There goes your healthy diet'.

5. davidroberts

whenevr u feel angry at them jus remind urself that how much they love them. ur emotional turmoil is not der fault. calm yourself up with some good music or some hobbies . actually writing abt ur problems really helps a lot. if u have a fear of them being seen. shred it later or burn it. and ya try reading poetry it makes you think more and expands your mind : ) tc

6. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I would recommend looking for activities in your area that you find interesting and that also let you meet more people. For example, if you like reading science fiction novels, look for a science book club (a bit random, but you get the point). You may also want to consider talking to someone about how you feel. The internet is nice, but nothing beats actually talking in person.

As for not snapping at people on bad days, does your work let you listen to music? Little says "Don't talk to me" like headphones in your ears. Plus, you can pick music that boosts your mood, making it easier to deal with people when it becomes unavoidable. Even if you can't listen to it at work, you could do so in the morning before you leave on bad days. Exercise also helps - try taking short breaks throughout the day and walk around the place you work.