1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my brother.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nathan, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Nathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so I've already come out to my parents and a lot of my close friends. The only person left on my list is my older brother, and for some reason, this is the hardest one yet. I have no idea why, because he and I have been really close since we were little kids, and I know he'd be accepting of my no matter what I did. He's really accepting of gay people, too; hell, one of his best friends is gay! But for some reason I have no idea how to tell him. Does anyone have any idea why this could be?

2. Cloudbreaker

I think a lot of times the people we are closest to and who mean the most to us are the ones that it is hardest to come out to. Because if they take the news poorly, they don't accept you, and things change between you, you stand to lose more in your relationship with them than with others. But you know what? You also stand to gain more with them when they do accept you. You will likely become closer than ever! And when it comes to those who matter most to people, total nonacceptance seems to be pretty rare, especially over time.

The way it sounds, your brother will no doubt accept you for who you are. Good luck on coming out to him!

3. TeeJay

TeeJay Guest

Because no matter how much he accepts gay people and no matter how much he cares about you. Your still afraid he is going to reject you. And/or Even though you think you are okay with being gay there is a part of you that is ashamed of it. By coming out to your brother (whom you love, respect, admire, very much) you will be opening yourself up to what ever, even your brothers judgement, good or bad. Perhaps your afraid that it will create a void between you two, the closeness will be gone. Or you may feel as though you have disappointed him in some way.