1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I call myself a girl?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Afraida, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Afraida

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm a gay guy and I consider myself a girl in a guys body. Whenever I'm talking to my girl friends, I always consider myself a girl, and I say things like "us girls" in conversation (when it comes up naturally). Is that weird? Do you think people find it weird when I say that stuff?

2. TeeJay

TeeJay Guest

My first partner was a Drag Queen. I had just came out and next I'm bringing home a Drag Queen! No I don't think it's weird for you to say stuff like that, because all the Drag Queens and many gay guys I know do that same thing (at least where I live). So you go girl! Be the queen bee you were born to be! (even if your not a drag queen ^_^, you can still be a queen).

3. seeksanctuary

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltKWVzJS8DA[/YOUTUBE]

It happens. xD

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you might want to consider if it's just that you identify more with women, or if you feel like that's your gender. The two things are separate. There were definitely times I enjoyed being "sis," at it was pretty validating to be called that. But in the end, I felt strongly cisgendered male...

If after some consideration you feel like that's your gender, I think that's really cool, and I support you! So then you'd be straight, actually. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Afraida

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you! :slight_smile:

6. Ianthe

I don't think there is anything weird or wrong about you. You are fine as you are.

The only thing that would be a problem is if some part of the situation is upsetting to you. How do you feel about the "girl in a guy's body" thing? How do you feel about your male body--do you like it, or does it make you upset? How do you feel about people referring to you as male, using male pronouns (he, him, etc.)?

If you have a lot of distress because of things like that, then you might want to consider whether a transgender identity might be appropriate for you. But if you are comfortable in your body and don't mind people treating you like a guy and referring to you as one, then identifying as a gay man is the most practical thing.

I think it's a good thing that you embrace your femininity. A lot of feminine men are very ashamed of it. I think the best possible thing is for you to love your femme self, and your male body as well, exactly as you are. I think it's wonderful that you will refer to yourself as a girl, and I hope you don't let anyone tell you there is something wrong with it. It's best if you are able to be open about how you feel about your gender--if you hide it, it will make you more and more ashamed, and that will cause you a lot of suffering.

So just keep being honest about yourself.

7. Afraida

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I love both sides of me. I love hanging out with men and being boys with them, and I love hanging out with girls and being a girl with them. I am comfortable in my own body, but I also wish I was a woman. I'm happy being a a gay guy, however, I just get uncomfortable when people don't understand when I refer to myself as a girl, even when they know I'm gay.

8. Ianthe

Just explain to them that sometimes you feel like a girl inside and you aren't ashamed of it--you love your girl-self and your guy-self.

The more you talk about it the less it will make you uncomfortable.

9. Afraida

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hopefully. Its just that most people dont understand the concept of having a desire to be the opposite gender, because a lot of people I know are very straight individuals