1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Sorry, Not Sure Where This Should Go... Help If You Please.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RainbowWolfie, Jun 3, 2012.

1. RainbowWolfie

I have anxiety. Yet I look up to Sunako Nakahara and well...

Point being, I want to be able to watch scary movies and scary stuff without being freaked out of my mind and getting a panic attack.

Any ways to do this?

:help:

2. rainbowfox

well I think scary movies are made to freak you out, if this disturbs you don't watch them :slight_smile:

3. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience, scary movies are just 'fuel for the fire'. I can't watch them without thinking 'oh dear lord that is exactly how I'm going to die' and then I can't get them out of my head and i freak out. My advice is just don't watch them if they're going to do the same thing or give you panic attacks. Nothing wrong with not liking horror movies.

4. RainbowWolfie

Thank you for all the advice, you're right. Maybe I shouldn't be worried about watching scary movies.

Oh, and thank you whoever moved this. As I said in the title, I had no idea where this should go.
    Sorry I put it in the wrong place.

5. rainbowfox

your welcome my dear :slight_smile:

6. BudderMC

I don't usually watch scary movies either, because they're scary, and that's not usually something I enjoy. I'll watch them with a group of people, or for Hallowe'en or something, because that makes it more of an "occasion" and an understandable exception to my rule.

Maybe it's certain types of scary that scares you more than others? Personally, I can sit through blood-splattering, gory horror flicks with relatively no problems, but things like psychological horror movies really get at me... you might just have a tolerance for certain things more than others?

7. RainbowWolfie

Hm... Maybe it is.

I've never attempted it, but I think I could watch stuff like Halloween.

It's the torture, mind games, and ghosts that haunt and do things (Paranormal Activity) that really bothers me.

8. Pain

Pain Guest

Maybe you could watch it with someone who would hold you tight? I find that makes the movies feel kinda silly-- impossible to happen, because nothing can happen with them holding you <3 If it gets too scary to look, just look into their eyes or at them :grin: It doesn't feel as scary that way... :slight_smile:

9. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

You could maybe work your way up to the type of movie you want to watch. If you think you could watch the gory kind of horror movie, then watch one in the middle of the day with family or friends. Do this regularly until you are no longer freaked out by this kind of movie. Then start looking for movies that while primarily gory and straightforward include a small psychological component as well. Again watch them in a comfortable setting until they no longer cause problems. Also gradually start watching movies in a more typical scary setting (e.g. on Halloween, at night, etc). Repeat this process at a slow, comfortable pace until you either can watch the movies you want or have determined that you have hit your limit.

It's not guaranteed to work, but generally things become less scary as we get used to them. The goal of the above is to let you get used to them in a way that minimizes the possibility of a panic attack, so if you do decide to do something like this, modify the process to fit your needs.