1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice but not totally life changing i guess...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by digi789mon, Jun 4, 2012.

1. digi789mon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok, so i've come out to a few people and i guess its been somewhat smooth sailing from there. I mean, i was all depressed thinking about how people would react and thinking of worst case scenarios, but its been really helpful coming out to really close friends. That is until one of them randomly decided to tell two other people who i barely know about me being gay and he really expects me to be ok with that. I didn't even hear it from him, one of my friends just comes up to me and says " oh, by the way, ______ can't keep a secret". After that, the friend who told just says "i'm sorry" and me being pissed just say "f*** off". The day after, all he says is "forgive me yet?" and i say "hell no". So, since then i've been giving him the silent treatment and doing my best to stay away from him.

So i'm just wondering what you guys think i should do? Am i doing the right thing or should i forgive him? I mean, yes i know what i said is harsh and what i'm doing is very immature, but i don't know how else to handle a situation like this. The people he told have no obligation to keep my secret a secret and if the wrong people here it (bigots and my parents) the next few years of my life will be a living hell. So i just need some advice on what to do in this sort of situation. (BTW, the people he told have not told anyone else as far as i know).

2. Gen

Gen

I think you have to ask yourself whether you are really angery because he told behind your back, or if its the fact that more people now know.

I'm not defending him because I do believe that was wrong and messed up. But based off what you said it seems that the main reason your mad is because of the difficulty you were/are going through. People who arent LGBT cant trully understand the difficulty of coming out for some people and some will just act like it isnt a big deal and tell everyone. I believe that if you talk to him and really show him that it matters to you than he wont do it again. If he is a friend that you care about I wouldnt just disown him forever.

At the very least dont be angery and hate him. You might never be friends again and thats you decision. But you have to forgive and and atleast understand why he did what he did.