1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raining on the Parade

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sartoris, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On the sixteenth, there's going to be a pride parade-festival in the city near where I live. Seems almost too good an opportunity to pass up since it's been somewhat difficult trying to find any LGBT groups, clubs, organisations around here [which aren't for students at least.]

However, despite the opportunity it provides in finding out about any of the aforementioned [and the fact I'm pretty sure no one can think of a reason one shouldn't take it,] I still have reservations.

Earlier, I watched a video from the one they had last year and for some reason I began to feel a bit overwhelmed, anxious and uncomfortable. I know that sounds odd, but thinking of myself being there, if only as a spectator, just felt like it would be too much. Ideally, I'd wanted to try to connect to the community gradually through a group, not a whole freakin' parade. Also, there's something a bit weird about a small 'town' pride parade. Not a huge enough crowd to lose yourself in, give yourself a bit of anonymity but still enough to feel like there are too many strangers around you [if it isn't obvious by now, I'm very socially awkward.]

On top of that, I'm pretty sure I won't go if I had to go by myself [if only because I'm not used to travelling there and back.] But the only people I'm out and thus who I could ask are my mother and a friend. In a way I would feel less awkward if my mother would and could go, she's scheduled to work that day so I don't know if she could get the day off, but still . . . it's my mother. The friend is my only real life one at the moment and in a way, I would just feel awkward if only because we're 'close' friends by default rather than I feel close to and/or have alot in common with him.

I'm not even sure why I'm saying all this, what I'm asking or what I hope anyone to tell me. Honestly, I'm nervous enough just thinking about bringing it up to my mother, not to mention I still have reservations about the thought of going at all. I'm not one for parties/parades/fairs/festivals/concerts/etc. in general [basically, I'm not a fun person,] but I hate how this seems to be two of my biggest concerns [coming out of my shell and trying to embrace my sexuality] colliding together and I don't know what to do.

Know it doesn't sound like it, but for me there are too many emotions flowing through my head right now [and it's still just a little under two weeks away.] :tears: :bang:

2. Ianthe

I told you already I think you should ask your mom. Seriously, they love moms at Pride. At least ask her--tell her you think it's important that you go, but that you are scared of it. She's your mom, she has to know about your social anxiety, right? But you should ask her soon, so she can get off work if she decides to.

I think it would be a great experience for you.

3. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I definitely intend to ask her at the very least, probably tomorrow since it should be the first chance I'll have to talk to her, alone, in the last couple days.

Even though she is my mother, I don't really look forward to asking her about it because we honestly haven't talked much about this issue since I came out to her.

4. Epipleptic

Ask yourself how you would feel if you didn't go. There's never going to be a perfect situation. Also, you might find that you like it and may be able to get information from different community organizations that do the things you're more interested in doing.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I know the whole thing can be very overwhelming, but there are ways to get all the stress out :slight_smile:

I for one don't like crowds too much. Its both emotionally and physically exhausting for me. So when I know I have to go to an event with a lot of people I make sure that I have a task to do or a plan already in mind. I do not like to just "go and enjoy myself" xD Maybe that is something that can work for you.

What works for me in pride is to volunteer with an organization or LGBT group that is either walking or having a booth there. That way you have a task that you can concentrate on and you can enjoy pride at the same time.

Breathe, though :slight_smile: These are the moments where pushing yourself out of your comfort zone will pay off. Its not easy, but nothing major will happen if things don't go as planned :slight_smile:

6. BudderMC

If it makes you feel any better, I can kinda relate. A couple friends I've told (and the bi one I haven't come out to actually, who's organizing this, lol) is trying to get all of us to go out to a LGBT club. Which, I think I should do, because it expands my horizons. But on the other hand, that's clubbing, drinking, LGBT-stuff, and self-image stuff all in one venue in one night. It's definitely a lot to tackle.

Is there a schedule of events for pride? Maybe you could pick out one or two events that look appealing to you, make it your specific destination. That way you don't need to concern yourself as much with the daunting task of figuring out what you want to do once you're there. And if you happen to get sidetracked, then it'll be because of something else you're really interested in, right?

Or maybe, like what TheEdend said, give yourself a task for the day. One I thought of was to photograph the event (you could show us, heh). Or maybe try and hit up every table. You know, something to keep you "busy" while you're there.

Otherwise, I don't know the circumstances with your friend, but could this be an opportunity for you two to be come more "close" friends if you brought him? Close friends do usually have a lot in common or something connecting them, but often I think it's a level of trust that reinforces that relationship. By inviting him to come along with you (and indicating that it's kinda a big deal, since you're nervous), maybe it'd do some good? But you'd know the answer to that one better than me.

7. Deaf Not Blind

yep, seems like some ok advise above. and i was thinking maybe like some events we have around here, not gay related, there are food vendors? (duh, i like to eat) so, good way to go in someplace you never been before and are a bit shy, just go look for a hot dog cart or snow cone machine, and wait in line. betcha will find smiling faces and in no time not so much fear.
    now, can I take that advice too? cuz i kinda want to sneak near the one in my town in 2 weeks too.
    maybe we need a Pride-pact? you go if i go!

8. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Before I reply, an update. Well, I finally asked my mother earlier today while in the car [for some reason, that always seems more relaxing . . . ] and the only thing that bothered her was the fact that I didn't let her know sooner. Said she needs to inform about time off two weeks beforehand or something like that. However, she said she'd be willing to go after she's off work [three o'clock on Saturdays,] and presumably the thing will be running for awhile that day.

Epipileptic: I know that I can't be picky in this situation and the main reason I want to go is so that I can, hopefully, get some information on any and all relevant organisations in one place. Don't care so much I like it so much as that I don't hate it. (Haha.)

TheEdend: Well, volunteering for a group for the festival, let alone to march, might be a little short notice but it is something I'd consider in the future when, presumably, I'm more comfortable with being gay. However, I'm gonna try to find out as much as possible beforehand what groups will be there, so I can have an idea of where to go and what to expect.

MC: You know, I would actually like that opportunity to go to a club [not to 'do' anything just to experience being around other LGBTs in a private setting,] but if I were in your shoes I'd probably be feeling just as overwhelmed at the thought as well. :\

Yeah, I'll probably do something like that. Just focus on learning what different groups there are in the area. I really thought it'd be easier to find out about them, but then again this isn't exactly a major metropolis we're talking about . . .

As far as my friend, I might just consider him a backup option [though I've still got to bring it up to him in that case,] it's just that I don't think we're really used to hanging out anywhere other than at each other's house so I think a pride festival might seem a little too much. Maybe it's just 'cause I feel that while he's a good guy, we aren't really similar at all, personality-wise, in terms of interests, etc. and at the moment I'd rather make friends I could feel close to. I feel like an awful person for saying that, though.

Deaf: Hey, there are no restrictions on advice. Take it where you can get it. :wink:

Just hope I don't find out you haven't gone and I have in that case. :grin:

9. BudderMC

I definitely want the opportunity to go, because I think the experience would be good. I don't expect to meet a guy or anything since that's certainly not "my scene", but to try it for the sake of pushing my comfort zone is probably good enough. I think I'm gonna see if I can set something up to split the drinking and LGBT bits up a little... take it one step at a time. Admittedly, I don't think I'd go through with it (or go and have a miserable time) if all that's being thrown at once.

The point of that was that it's a really good thing to push past your comfort zone, since that lets you grow. But know your limits and play within it :slight_smile:

And congrats on getting your mom to go. See, that wasn't so bad, was it?

I also just wanted to echo what DnB said. You could just stand in line and meet people. Pride to me seems like the kind of place where everyone is friendly and trying to meet other people, since everyone knows everyone is supportive. So, you could be passive and wait for someone to talk to you, or you could even initiate with people who are being shy! Both are good ways to make new friends. It doesn't matter how uncomfortable it feels if you can fake it for the first 15 seconds it'll take to go up and say hi :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. SMiLeitsme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Think of it this way; You have all of EC behind we will all be there for you. I will be there with you in spirit. You just have to get me those two guys' number for me. jk lol
    We will all be behind you. Chi-up bro!
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm shy and very socially awkward as well, I went to a pride (the festival part not the parade) last year for the first time - something I wanted to do for years but was too afraid to do..one of the reasons being I'd be going by myself

Anyway I went by myself, and there a huge enough crowd, once there that nervousness/fear I had was gone (even by the time I was on the 'train' headed into town I felt if anything just kinda excited that I was finally going :slight_smile: )

12. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, I see. Assume you've never hung out at a bar/went out drinking in public before? [Honestly, I haven't either so I kinda get what you're saying.] You're probably right that it would be easier in stretching your comfort zone in one area before tackling the other first. But I hope things will turn out well. :slight_smile:

Thanks and no it wasn't, but still a bit uncomfortable at the thought of attending with her [despite what's already been said by others.] Plus, it's easier to say, "Ok, go meet some people," than it is doing it. Socializing has always been hit and miss for me, probably more the latter than the former. On top of that, I don't want to set my hopes too high on trying to make some new acquaintences when it probably won't happen.

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2012 at 02:03 PM ----------

(Haha,) thank you, I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Though it'd be better if I was meeting EC'ers rather than a whole other group of LGBT strangers. :lol::confused:

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2012 at 02:06 PM ----------

I would like to go by myself, but at this time, unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the area to get there and back without getting lost [awful with directions.] Still, as nerve-wracking as it may be, I imagine that being able to go by yourself is still more relaxing because you have to find a 'liferaft' to cling to rather than bring one [ie someone to accompany you that you desperately stick by because you're too afraid to talk to strangers.]

Since you're also a shy/socially awkward person I have to ask, how did you adjust to the chaos of the crowds? All the people, music, noise and so on?

13. Ianthe

I was worried that your mother would have trouble getting off work--two weeks is the usual amount of notice you need, that's why I was trying to get you to ask her the same day when we first talked about it and was two weeks out. Oh well.

Could you go earlier and have her meet you? Maybe your friend could be free in the morning, and your mom can meet you later. What time is the parade?

14. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately I hadn't thought about that at the time, on top of which I'd actually been having difficulty trying to find a moment to ask her privately the last few days and yesterday was the first chance I'd had since considering attending the festival.

The parade starts at eleven in the morning, I believe [will have to double check.] However, if I did end up attending with my friend, there wouldn't be much of a point having my mother come, from my perspective. Also, I'm not focusing so much on attending the parade as at least going to the festival during/afterwards, seeing any booths they may have [unless there's something important to miss in the parade itself, which I doubt.]

But now I'm wondering whether my mother will be up to going at all after work, since naturally she'll want to relax. At any rate, I may bring this point up to her soon rather than brood about potentialities.

15. Ianthe

Your mother surely understands that this is important to you. I doubt she will back out.

16. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I'm banking on at the moment and hoping will be the case. However, I'm convinced we come from a line of emotionally ambiguous people, so I'm not entirely sure how what I said impacted her yesterday.

Anyway, guess I'll see when I bring up the point soon.

17. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What about A Bus/Train/Subway is there anything like that you can take?
    I took the 'train' (as they call it) so I wouldn't have to deal with trying to find my way around the city/downtown, and stuff like parking/etc... that for me is by far the best way to go :slight_smile:

I really don't know...I just simply wasn't bothered by the crowd (I arrived soon after the parade had ended so the crowd was at the maximum size too...like to the point where you could barely walk through the streets around the festival...don't think I've seen so many people in one place before LOL) I felt like I fit in there rather than how I imagined being uncomfortable around a crowd (never expected to see that many people though)

-------------
    I went to a 2nd (much smaller) Pride late summer (smaller city too LOL), Even there with not much of a crowd I felt comfortable - probably no more or less comfortable than the big one. In that case I drove since there's no train or anything. (I got a map & directions from google..and sent an email to the GLBT center's pride contact there asking about parking)

18. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only buses around here, but I've never taken one. But since I'm probably going to attend with my mother, I think that's an issue for another time. :grin: It is something I want to get accustomed to, though, especially if I ever go to a larger city in the future.

Ah, I imagine it must've felt more relaxed after the parade and the crowd dispersed [honestly, I think the parade itself would've made me more nervous than the festival (Haha.)] Still wish there would be a larger crowd, so I could have that vague sense of anonymity. In any case, I hope there'll be that feeling of fitting in as well.

19. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Its actually really cool that your mother is willing to go with you :slight_smile: (mine would never do that...infact the result would not be good if she even found out about me going to pride)

On the 1st pride I went to the crowd didn't really thin out too much..I got there sometime before 11am ... and didn't end up leaving til around 3pm)

The 2nd pride (smaller one) did feel allot more relaxed since there was no big crowds..I still had that sense of anonymity (this one was even farther from me than the 1st though so I think that was part of it). The feeling of fitting in is actually pretty cool - you'll see (or 'feel' LOL) when you get there :slight_smile:

The parade makes me more nervous than the festival part :eek: (actually I now have no 'fear' of the festival since I've been to 2 of them.)
    I'd love (and might try) to make the parade at the big (Denver) pride this year just to see it. (its hard because it starts at 9:30am which means I ideally need to leave home around 8:30. The biggest issue is I don't live alone and _never_ go anywhere on Sunday mornings...I don't want questions - plus the parade is always mentioned on the TV news so someone could figure out where I went without too much...)

---------- Post added 7th Jun 2012 at 09:26 PM ----------

---
    Another thing.. if you want a sorta preview of the pride youre gonna attend from last year:
    go to YouTube and search for "the city" "pridefest" "2011"

Thats how I started watching pride LOL . last year seeing it 'live' was much better :slight_smile: (and now I have my own pictures & videos)

20. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, I already did watch at least one video of last year's pride, that's partly what spurred me to creating this thread in the first place. Just had completely mixed emotions about going, though it focused more on the parade than the festival, I will admit.

I can definitely imagine being more relaxed being at a pride festival further away from where you live, less of a chance of anyone who may recognize you there. Hopefully I'll feel like I fit in, can't really say I feel comfortable anywhere [and not just regarding this issue.] >_> And yes, the festival itself isn't much of a bit deal, everyone's just hanging around whereas the parade seems like a non-stop performance, to me I'd probably feel tense and anxious wondering, "Ok, when's this gonnna be over with?"

You could probably just skip the parade and go to the festival part, but it is a major city so it might be difficult for someone to spot you on the local news [people don't do 'Where's [Name Here?]' with pride footage, I believe.] :wink: If you do end up going, hope you have just as good a time as with the other two festivals. :slight_smile: