1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Moments?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gazza123, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hi

Well. Now I've been doing some thinking (what else I'm I gonna do) and a few things have come to mind.

So let me just rant a bit if you will

Now somewhere in the distant future when I'm to my family and I have a boyfriend I've got this feeling that some things will be awkward so I want to know if these feelings are normal or what.

Dancing with my boyfriend(!!) (Parties, etc etc) I think I would feel awkward just from the POV that its not the norm AKA girl and boy

Just being around my family when my boyfriend is with me (Not so much to do with they won't like it but just terms... I don't know how to put it, make of that what you want)

The occasional affection such as holding hands, kissing, etc etc around family, friends and in public although in public won't be so much because as much as we hate it, there still some people out there who hate gay people.

Just general discusion such as my family or friends going "Hows your boyfriend?" you get what I mean

Okay ranting over:dry:

:icon_bigg

2. Ben

Ben

I thought all those things might be awkward, too. But after two years with my boyfriend, I can assure you that when I'm around my family with him, I'm not thinking about him being the same sex as me and neither are they. At the first it was a bit awkward, sure, but I even discuss my relationship with my grandparents without any awkwardness now.

As for being out in clubs or wherever, sometimes I totally forget I'm in a relationship with another guy until someone points it out, and it's usually someone being supportive. Same goes for holding hands in public, but you're right, there're some people out there who don't take to it very nicely. It's not ideal, but if you don't want to risk it on the streets, then you don't have to hold hands. I certainly don't in the more rough areas of the country.

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Thanks. I guess I'm not the only one who feels like this but you point out, it gets easier with time to point when it becomes the norm

:icon_bigg

4. BudderMC

In situations like that, people feed a lot off of other people's emotions. That being said, if you try and treat it like it's no big deal, then most other open-minded people will follow suit and not really care. But if they can sense you're giving off an awkward tension, then they won't know how to appropriately react, and awkwardly try to give you space.

Of course, that doesn't account for people who are set in their anti-LGBT views. For them, yeah, it's probably best to just play it safe and watch your public displays of affection, amongst other things. But it's pretty easy to get a sense of what environments are going to be "hostile"; you know, there's kind of an air about them.