1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you know if you're a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confusedlady, Jun 5, 2012.

1. confusedlady

confusedlady Guest

Just wanted to know how you know if you're a lesbian or not. Has anyone ever thought they were but then found out they were not, like thought you'd like something but after you did it relized you'd prefer men?

2. julia

It has taken me a while but I know now I like women and only women. I just don't see myself going on dates with men, having sex with men, etc...I know I will only be happy with a woman.
    There are girls (and guys) who think they only like the same sex but then realize they are bisexual, and there's nothing wrong with that, a lot of people are biphobic.

I'm sure this answers nothing but there's my input. :icon_wink

3. secretguyX

That's how I was. For quite a while I had thought I was gay and only liked girls, but I ended up being wrong...

Anyways, you just have to see who you're attracted to, and if you can imagine yourself going out with a guy or not. For me, time helped clear things up, and so did meeting new people. There's no rush in finding out. :slight_smile:

4. confusedlady

confusedlady Guest

Ummm...and if you find men attractive, like need to hold yourself back from wanting to have sex with them. But you cannot see a relationship for some reason and you get kind of sick of thinking about being emotionally close like that?

5. JillandJill

I feel like this too sometimes. It's so weird. I know I only want to be with girls. Yet...

6. Snowy song

I've been thinking about this too, lately (well, hasn't everyone?)
    I guess, lesbian/gay/bi..etc... are all just sort of these stupid checkboxes that somebody made up. I think we're all human and most of use are romantically attracted to other people. So, at some point, you begin to think...hmmmm...I seem to be attached to ladies...wait...I'm a girl...but girls are supposed to like guys...eek! but I'm a girl and I like girls... and I guess that's when you start to label yourself.
    Only you can decide which, (if any) label of sexual orientation you want to put on yourself. However, I think nobody every quite knows for sure. I don't think there is one right answer to sexuality. But, if your attractions tend to follow a pattern, at some point you might decide you want to associate with other people who are similar to you in that way, and then you decide you're a lesbian, or gay, or bi, or whatever you think you are. So, I guess what I'm saying is that no, it's never a choice to have attractions (as some people would like to tell us it is...haters suck...) but it's your choice whether or not you want to label yourself. And, it's okay not to know(*hug*). People are wonderful and huggable, but we're also pretty weird and complicated. Take your time. I hope that helped :slight_smile:

7. confusedlady

confusedlady Guest

It did help thanks. I'm married to a man and questioning again, for the 20th time in my life. I'm curious about being in a relationship with a woman, because I can see it better than a man, sounds fun...we'll go shopping, talk about everything, etc. As a teen I tended to get very attached to my girlfriends, but if I met a guy I liked, I'd rather be with them. I can see an emotional relationship with a woman. Sexual I'm not too sure (but I don't know if society did that) romantic kind of sounds like fun...but there's no butterflies here. I guess its cause I'm not satisfied being with a man and wondering what else I can do.

8. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This question has been on my mind for some time now too.

I've been in numerous relationships with men, and have had sex with men. But just never really felt connected with them completely. I can't recall a single relationship that had the "wow" factor. And I think for the most part I liked the idea of being in love more than actually being in love with them. Lately I've noticed that I struggle to picture myself in a relationship with a man, or getting physical with a man. But I can very easily picture myself with a woman. That pretty much clarifies it, if you ask me.

I used to think I was bisexual because I'd feel an attraction to men from time to time but now that I think about it, it was because I was (and still am to some extent) in denial about my sexuality and wanted to "fit in" with my female friends, and fit into what society deems appropriate. Well, right now I say screw that. I'm going to stop kidding myself and if my friends won't accept me as I am then they're not real friends anyway. Family is another story but hey, you can't choose 'em so gotta stick with what you've got. It's not like they have a choice

9. Noir

I know for sure I'm a lesbian because whenever it's implied that a guy wants to be more than friends, I get creeped out. I even went on a date or two with one, and whenever he started trying to put the moves on me, my skin would crawl and I would want to pull away immediately. I was sure I could make it work a little, but...I couldn't. I've never been in a committed relationship with another girl, but I know for certain that I'm sexually, emotionally, and physically attracted to them. It just seems like I could never even vaguely understand a man....and I don't really want to because all the guys I know mostly only have indecent thoughts about women--and nothing else.:dry:

Thinking back to my early school days, too, I've never even once had what fully qualifies as a "crush" on a guy. I tried to trick myself into thinking I liked guys because that's what seemed normal, but it never really happened for me. My first real full blown crush was when I was in fifth grade towards my female student teacher, but I didn't even know what it was. It didn't occur to me that my face felt flushed or I always wanted her to look at me or any of that stuff that should have been my first clue; back then I didn't even know it was possible to love someone of the same gender! I thought I just liked her a lot as a person. :lol: