1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Like I Don't Have A Purpose

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThatCoopKid, Jun 5, 2012.

1. ThatCoopKid

Sometimes, I feel like I don't have a purpose, like I'm really not supposed to be here. It's not to the point where I could be considered suicidal - I've been there once and I'm not going back - but there are just days where I wander around in a haze wondering why I'm here. This is something that I've felt for years now, and although I sometimes feel like I'm close to an answer, I never quite find it. I'd like to believe that I'm important for something, even if it's just changing the life of one person, but for the most part I don't feel like I am.

I know this sounds retarded, and that I should talk to friends about it, but I just don't wanna burden them with this seemingly insignificant problem when there are other, more important things such as homework, projects, classes, etc to take care of. But, I just had to vent, and this was the only place I felt like I could. Any comments/advice would be helpful.

2. Deaf Not Blind

hmm.. nobody likes to hear this, but again, that is why many of us seek God...to find the reason we exist.

in a nutshell, you exist because you are made with uniqueness, nobody else will have your DNA or fingerprints, or personality and talents EVER! that makes you a rare commodity, my friend! as does every other living breathing person ever born. sometimes when i like someone as a friend i will just stop, think how lucky i am to just be breathing the same air as them, to live in the same time period and get to experience them. see, we can read about great men like Abe Lincoln, but unfortunately they died before we got to be born. but every person on earth right now, we have a potential to connect with them in some way. so holding open a door for a stranger who happens to have their hands full and getting just a smile back, hey! you just did a really great positive connection with another rare creation. that is just how i see it in perspective.

and i am really happy i met you even if not ever in person...and honestly, i wish everyone here were a believer just because i really would like to meet you all one day in heaven and have a big party! :grin:

3. castle walls

Personally, I think that everyone has a purpose in life. Some purposes are just more exciting than others.

Anyway, to get to my point, I would recommend trying new things. Sometimes new experiences can really give you a new perspective on life. This is what worked for me. I used to feel like I didn't have a purpose. Now I think that my purpose in life is to help others. I want my community to be a better place because I was there.

You could try anything you'd like. Is there anything you've always wanted to do and never got around to it? You could always try rock climbing, exercising, writing, acting, traveling, volunteering, finding a new job, trying new foods, cooking, shopping, reading, studying a new subject, etc. These things may not sound like much but they could be a stepping stone to learning new things about yourself and finding what you think your purpose may be.

Good luck! Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you

4. Deaf Not Blind

i agree with CW, volunteering maybe at senior center, Big Brothers, a homeless shelter, a food bank...you name it! helping others makes you have those connections, and see you have great worth.

5. Jim1454

If your life is full of friends and family and school... that IS your purpose for the time being. There might be something 'significant' in your future that everything other event in your life is building up to. And there might not be something 'significant'.

Do the best you can at whatever it is you're doing, and that's purpose enough.

6. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bro, just remember that you're awesome. And there are so many things about you that make you amazing in your own way. Pick something that you love to do.. and go do it. You'll feel better! Don't think about what other people care about. Worry about yourself and just chill. You'll be good. I promise