1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ottawa, anybody?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Snowy song, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Snowy song

So...in a few days I'm going to a summer program in Ottawa, Canada. I was wondering if anybody lives there/has experience in the general area or Canada.

What are people's attitudes towards queer people? Is it ok/safe to be out? Are there GSAs in Canada schools?

EC Canadians any insight? - thanks a bunch (&&&)

2. TroubledRyan

Well I do not personally live there, but I have a gay friend there. He is actually engaged. And he never speaks of people giving him crap about it.

So I would believe it is relitivly safe.

3. adam88

I've only been to Ottawa once, but it's probably like most major Canadian cities - AKA pretty accepting. Just do a google search for "Ottawa gay scene" or something and you'll see what pops up. :slight_smile:

Hmm... you'll also be within road-trip distance of Toronto Pride week when it's on (June 22nd to July 1st). :slight_smile: Pride Toronto :: Pride Week 2012 - June 22nd to July 1st

4. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You'll be perfectly fine in Ottawa. :slight_smile: Be as open as you want. Many Canadian schools have GSAs.

5. King

King Guest

Ottawa is a beautiful city, and for the few times I've been there, I've seen it be very open and accepting. You should be safe, and love it there (I know I do!)

6. Jim1454

As the nation's capital, if nothing else it's politically correct. But I would expect Ottawa to be as or more accepting as any other major city in Canada.

Enjoy your stay there. We're actually taking our kids to Ottawa at the end of July for 4 days - as I haven't been in years and they've never been.

7. Snowy song

Great, thanks so much everybody. I'll tell you guys how it goes.