1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PurpleDinosaur, Jun 8, 2012.

1. PurpleDinosaur

Hey, just to give a short introduction I am thirteen years old, and I'm trans (ftm) and gay (I like guys). So as you can see over there < I have only come out to one person and that's my best friend who is basically like my sister. I have to come out to my mum soon or it will probably destroy me. However, I have massive anxiety that I'm on routine medicine for (which isn't working, I'm trying to find a psychiatrist that will take adolescence but it's hard in my area). As y'all probably know coming out is already really hard but when I add my anxiety on top of that it's virtually impossible.

I was thinking, I obviously can't say it out loud to her so I wanted to write her a letter, would that be too insincere? Also I have just got out of treatment for anorexia and my mum likes to associate everything with that and I'm really afraid she'll associate my being trans and gay with that which I don't want.

Does anyone have any advice? It'd be greatly appreciated.
    :help:

2. Don't feel bad about the letter thing I told my mom over a text message haha. But for me it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm not saying it's easy but just be prepared for what could happen.

3. MrHojalata98

Many of us in EC can't even say "I'm gay" outloud, or in your case trans. And actually s lot of us here wrote letters to come out, so don't feel ashamed to do so. Heck I came out through a text message I'm not exactly proud of it but it got the job done and it felt so reliving afterwards. So if you really want to come out to your mom DO IT. you'll feel relieved afterwards, and you'll have a cool story to tell here on EC. I'm rooting for you, keep us Updated :slight_smile:.... Oh and I just noticed you are new here! So welcome to EC you are gonna love it here, and if you ever want to talk to anyone I'm here for you

4. Lewis

Only do it if you're truly confident in your decision. I find it amazing that a 13 year old is at your level of understanding when it comes to yourself, I was light years away from accepting myself or coming out (still am with coming out) at your age - I really commend you for that.

As I haven't come out myself my only advice to you is, if you're ready, tell her. Being 13 and out will provide you with a much more liberating teen-hood and you won't have to go through the years of hiding away like many of us have. To my understanding (not an expert in regards to this subject) I believe it's better to start gender reassignment at an earlier age? Not sure, but I hope everything works out for you and that you live your teens how you want to live them. I wish I could have come out at that age! :slight_smile:

5. curiouskid

Hey welcome to EC :slight_smile:

Well, I have a small but supportive group of friends who I've recently (past 3 days) told. And just so you know, I've only told one of them in person. Every other person I texted. So I think writing your mom a letter is perfectly acceptable :slight_smile:

Also, if you don't want your mom to associate your being transgender with your anorexia, then tell her that. If not in person, in the letter. Explain to her that you're certain with who you are and how nothing but your own true feelings has intervened.

Best of luck to you :slight_smile: and keep us updated!

6. Ianthe

Hi, welcome to Empty Closets!

One thing I think you should consider, is that it is likely that you anorexia was caused in part by your dysphoria that results from being transgender. Your mother would not be unreasonable to make that connection. Being transgender causes you severe stress, and I would be very surprised if it were not a contributing factor to both your anorexia and your anxiety that you are being medicated for. It is most likely the primary underlying cause of both problems. It is very easy for the unhappiness with your body that comes with being transgender to translate into something like anorexia.

I think that if you do not address your transgender issues, you are unlikely to be successful in treating the anxiety, and you are in very serious danger of relapse regarding the anorexia.

My recommendation is that you write a letter to your mother, and in it, you come out to her and explain that your transgender identity probably is the cause of your other problems, and request that she find a therapist qualified in treating transgender people right away.

Anorexia obviously is not the cause of your gender identity. But issues related to being trans have almost certainly contributed to the anorexia, and are most likely the underlying cause of your anxiety.

Transgender individuals have higher rates of eating disorders: Gender Nonconformity, Transexuality, and Eating Disorders, and are at much higher risk for anxiety disorders. Your treatment for these other things will be much more effective if they are treated in the context of you being transgender.

7. PurpleDinosaur

This is really helping me and I'm still writing my letter but when I send it I'll let y'all know! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. PurpleDinosaur

Okay so this is the letter I want to send to my mum, any editing suggestions?

June 8, 2012
    Dear mum,
    So, lately I’ve been thinking a lot about who I am and I’ve been trying to discover myself. I’m really glad that we have such a good relationship and you have always been there for me, especially in the past few months, thank you so much.
    Basically I’ve had something on my mind for a long time now and I really feel like I need to get it off my chest because it’s anxiety producing and torturing me every day. I think I am truly a man stuck in a woman’s body (a.k.a transgendered FtM (female to male)). Also, I like guys. I realise you probably have missed feelings about this and I want you to know you can always come talk to me.
    This has obviously induced a lot of anxiety for me and probably induced my eating disorder. My thoughts behind that were I am unhappy with my body so I figured getting skinnier would help that.
    I also want you to know that I am still me and I want your help with this because I love you. I have already told Sarah because I thought she could help my get up the courage to tell you. I’m really sorry that I didn’t tell you in person but this letter is even giving me some mass anxiety so I definitely couldn’t do it.
    About six months ago I was convince I was bisexual because I knew something was different or wrong but I didn’t know what so I just went with that but soon realised I wasn’t attracted to girls at all.
    As far as the first step goes I know you can do your own research but you know I can always answer any questions you have because I have done my research. Also there are gender therapists out there and I’d probably benefit from having one but I know you’re really busy so I could help you look if you want.
    I love you always,
    (Name)

9. Ianthe

Aside from the one spelling error, I think the letter is excellent. You are very brave to come out to your mother this way.

The only thing I would suggest is to provide some information about being transgender along with the letter. Maybe you could print out some things, and also provide some links to information on the Internet.

10. PurpleDinosaur

Okay, I'll make some fixes thanks!

11. Great letter, gratz on coming out to one person. I'm always open to talk whenever i'm online.

12. PurpleDinosaur

okay, I'll keep that in mind, thank you :thewave:

13. eveninghush

Well done :slight_smile: I'm three years older than you and not even contemplating coming out yet so I truly admire your bravery. The letter is brilliant, very sincere. When I was your age I was wallowing in hospital also with anorexia, trying to suppress who I really was. A year ago, I got out of hospital and now I'm living my life, pretty certain I'm gay. So ED-wise and of course sexuality-wise, I can relate. PM me anytime. Keep us updated!

14. PurpleDinosaur

So I just sent my mum the letter and I'm FREAKING OUT! Sorry, just so afraid.:jawdrop:

15. Good luck!!! tell us how it goes!!!

16. Ianthe

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)
    Are you still freaking out? It was last night. Did she get it yet?

I hope everything turned out okay! Let us know how it went!

17. PurpleDinosaur

So y'all my mum got my letter and told me to hold off until later because I'm too young and everyone has this phase...what should I do? I know who I am and I always have but she doesn't believe me.

18. Ianthe

Tell her to take you to a professional to make a diagnosis. A professional will not give you hormone treatment if it isn't warranted.

Also make sure that she understands that most likely only puberty delaying hormones would be given any time very soon. Without hormone blockers during puberty, transitioning will be much more difficult and require more surgery.

And insist on changing your gender expression, in terms of clothing and hair, as soon as possible. Even if it is a phase, those things are temporary.

Point out that, especially given your recent mental health problems, she has a responsibility as a parent to have something as serious as gender dysphoria evaluated by an expert.

But first give her a few days. Ask her to think about it and tell her you want to talk about it again on Friday. She will need at least a little time to process things. She is still in denial, which is to be expected. She will probably get angry with you next. You should expect that, and try not to take it personally--it's part of her grieving process to come to acceptance of the situation. Then she will try to negotiate. And then she'll be really sad about it. That's how it usually goes.

Only after processing a whole lot of emotional stuff will she finally accept it.

It will be hard for her, too, because as your mother she wants to be able to share girl things with you, and it will make her sad that she doesn't get to do that.

Just don't let her scare you back into the closet. Stand your ground. You're a boy. Keep insisting. Do you have a boy name picked out?

But maybe leave her alone about it until Friday.

19. PurpleDinosaur

Thank you so much, and I spent hours picking out a new name, I settled upon William James :slight_smile:

20. Gratz on sending the letter. You're easily 4 times more brave than I am. Honestly, i never would have sent that letter if i were in your position.