1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The biggest step

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lewis15, Jun 8, 2012.

1. lewis15

I know coming out is completely the sole decision of the person, but I want some feedback. I've never had much help about coming out from my straight friends because they don't understand how hard it is for us. Here is my situation;

I came out to my first friend about January of my freshman year of high school. She accepted me fully and it made out relationship a lot closer. After that, the coming out to friends begin and is still going on. I'm out to mainly all my close friends and they all accepted me. I was happy with my friends knowing I was gay, but when someone came around or hung out with us who didn't know, I was "straight" again and I hate that feeling. The feeling of having to hide myself just because I'm afraid of what other people will think.
    I recently went camping, with a close friend who knows I'm gay,with all their friends from way up north. My friend said I would have so much fun, but only if I told them I was gay. So, the day after we got there her really hot friend asked her if I was gay (he has a sister who is) and for the first time, my friend said yes. She told me she actually about said no because she does at home all the time. Anyway, eventually everyone knew and they were all accepting of me and I had the time of my life. When I got home I started crying with my closest friend while we were eating out because it was too much to handle. I loved being out to all those people and not having to hide. Here I came, back to my small town, just so head back into the closet. It wasn't fair. It still isn't fair.
    Now, the dilemma presents itself; to come out or not to come out? I want to. I want everyone to know. I'm a little scared about people reacting bad, but I think I can handle it. My mom and sister know, that happened a year ago. They insisted it was a phase and denied it. What should I do?

2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    First, I think this should be moved to another area, but I don't know how to suggest that.

It really depens on not just how you think others will react, but how their reactions would affect you. Your safety and well-being is absolutely important. If all you have to be worried about is people not liking you, that's different. If you have the support of your friends, that may be all you need to get through any crap others may try to throw at you. But I don't know what the atmosphere is like where you are, so I can't say how your classmates and your community may react.

If anyone thinks being gay is just a phase, ignore it. Don't let anyone tell you what you are, but don't try to prove them wrong either. Just be yourself, and they should accept it. And if they don't, remember that what someone else thinks of you is nowhere near as important as what you think of yourself.

3. Deaf Not Blind

on the report post red triangle we can tell mods to put in support area. :slight_smile:

i just posted, hope its moved soon for ya!