1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College life advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rinto, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I've only recently started to feel the college life around me. Seriously, a week has gone by but our university hasn't even introduced much of its "normal vibes" on our first go so I kind of feel uncomfortable and I can't really help but worry what could happen sooner or later.

First might be the fact that out of the 2 sections of classmates I had, I was the only one admitted to this university where I am now. I still have contact with them and some of them help me cope up with the new life by introducing their former classmates that went in to but in the real outside world, I feel uneasy. For the last few days, I've been going on around the school alone and there's actually no person who has ever been close to me to be even called a companion, not even a classmate. I just feel so new to this. I maybe a loner but I do appreciate the company of others too. It's gotten much lonelier since the time I graduated.

Second might be my plan to shift courses next sem. I took BS Computer Science since all I believed before was that it would be a "good choice" since it 's "in demand" nowadays. In demand means more income so it would make a good choice. But, just about when school started, I felt uncomfortable of my choice. I felt like I forced myself out of a important challenge by making a half-a**ed decision like this. Most of us in the course were also undecided ones but most of them just got in because of lack of slots in their course of choice and nothing else. I wanted to take Psychology, I guess, but I don't know; I just don't feel its "greatness" either.

Last might be this new crush I have. I met him at our freshmen orientation where he shook hands with me willingly because of an activity. Ever since then, I've met him through incidental meetings at the hall, etc. But I don't feel this one would be as rewarding as any of my past relationships. I think he's straight but he doesn't show much signs except his silence. How would I be able to make some progress? I am really interested in this guy but how should I progress? He's not of the same course as me but we belong in the same student org and college building and all, but...

So, that's it. I'm sorry if I studded this one thread with several topics; I just don't know how to release them at some point. And I hope someone helps me soon....

2. Deaf Not Blind

ok, first in USA things are different. So what i may say may not apply? But we do have mostly people go to college your age or older like 20 and have no clue what job or line of study they want. So they take all the prerequisites: math, english, science, anything likely for any degree. So, you are not alone. :slight_smile: May I suggest you take a variety of classes that may help you find some personal passion? For example: photography or pottery, sociology, political science/Model United Nations, ballet/tap/rap/swing or other dancing offered, wood/metal shop or other craftsmanship like welding, a writing class with a long essay due at end. I found many things in such a class enriching anyways, and some had even open my eyes to mistakes I was making. Thus, do not fall for the trick they did to us here by high school saying all the money will be in high tech so study computers...I was wiser, but many my classmates followed the pack. They never went into the line of work they started to study, it was boring. Find something you find fascinating, go that path!

Friends: once in a class like above, you will likely end up next to someone, ask them what the teacher meant, or for advice on your work. Start a conversation by saying you like the shoes they have on if you really do, as people like to talk about themselves, ask them where they went to school and where they are from and why they are in that class. You will have friends soon. :slight_smile:

Ugh, interested in a guy...I am not good that one. I have turned down guys! I will guess they will prefer if you think he is straight to just have you be a really good friend. The best way to show your love and friendship is to be there for him if he needs help, to stand up for him if anybody ever mocks him or says he is stupid, and everything i mentioned above for making friends.

I start university in August. Wish me luck making friends, very similar I am moving hundreds of miles away, and ONE friend is going with me.

3. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Thanks a lot! I do appreciate your reply. :slight_smile:
    Somehow, my doubts just got swished away in a span of hours ahaha

4. stumble along

Haha I'm starting college in august and I'm a mixture between absoulte horror and complete displeasure of going. So, I can't offer anything more than what deaf said but good luck! To both of you.

5. silkfrog1292

Hi Rinto,

I'm from Hong Kong so what i say might not apply as well (sigh...) but i hope what i say may be worth it's two cents.

Unlike the US, here in Hong Kong it's rare (and rather difficult) for students to change their majors. So students often make very serious and clear choices as to what their career paths would be in the future. I don't know if this applies to the Philipines (or anywhere you might be studying) but if so, then since you are still considering i think it might be best if you do a bit more research and/or observations before you start applying for course changes.

As for being lonely, i was in the same boat last year. I just returned from Australia and i have absolutely NO friends in Hong Kong (at least none that still lives here). But it slowly got better as time passed and i get to know the people i go to class with better. Is there any clubs or groups you can join? or any camps that might be held over the holidays? these are usually good oppurtunities to meet new people. Furthermore, don't forget that there are many first-years like you that know very few people in this new environment, so don't be fretful and try to speak to people!

Finally, i have very little advice in regards to your crush since i'm in the same encruciating circumstances myself, but have you tried talking to him? try talking to him during those bump-in in the halls?? i dunno.....

I'm sorry that after wading through my text it might just seem like a load of bulls**t, but i hope that something useful could be extracted out of that. Sorry i couldn't be of more help :frowning2:

6. Deaf Not Blind

why don't they found a gay university? all the students and staff be queers and dykes and transsexuals and such? dorm and bathrooms would have no scary issues! lots of people around the world would apply. i bet it would be a pretty and fun and safe university. lots of gay security on campus to keep it safe.

7. Bree

Because then we wouldn't make any progress. If you separate all the queers, people will continue to see as a separate and strange, and we'll never be accepted as "normal"

I've completed my first year of college, and feel like I've got from being one of the least popular kids in High School to one of the most with my new friends, most of whom I met through the Pride society. College is really a place you can become yourself- in my opinion, it's a gift if nobody knows you- they don't have any preconceived notions about you.

#7 Bree, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  8. Deaf Not Blind

yeah...but to debate now:there are religious schools, so everyone can feel more open and safe to speak their religion, yet many go to other schools. there are some for deaf that bind us stronger and help us learn more about ourselves so we can fight for our rights more, but some attempt hearing colleges. there are ones predominantly black, where being colored of any shade is normal and beautiful and if you talk slang like Ebonics the majority is with ya....and yet many attend predominately white schools.

but as we are entering our chosen universities, i now noticed we seem to not even have the option of an all Queer college, and many real issues could be non-issues at one, more of us could get to know each other and maybe do better at defending our rights later if we had such an option.

interesting to think about...