1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out.Will they take me seriously?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by madi, Jun 8, 2012.

1. madi

I've been attracted to both sexes for as long as I can remember and keeping my sexual orientation from my parents is just becoming to much for me. I feel like my secret has built a brick wall between us. I have already told my best friend and boyfriend about it because I know they are very accepting and I love and trust them both. With my parents it is trickier though because I don't have any idea how they will react. I think my mom would be accepting because her best friend in high school was gay, but I'm afraid my dad may be homophobic. I'm also afraid that since I do have a boyfriend whom I love very much and have been dating for almost two years, that my parents won't take my confession seriously and will brush it off as being just a phase. It is very important to me that I get this off of my chest, but any advice on how to figure out my parents views before telling them? And also...How do I get them to take me seriously?

2. Truthfully I think they would just have to accept you with time. Some people won't believe you when you tell them but just try to talk to them about it. Parents are a little hard to tell but since you have told some poeple it will be easier to go to them if things don't turn out smoothly. If they think it's just a phase again they will realize it isn't with time or you can try to explain to them how it isn't. Hope this helps and hope everything goes well :slight_smile:

3. Ianthe

Tell your mom first, since you think she will be accepting. She may have a better idea than you do how your father will react.

It is possible that your sexuality will not be relevant to them unless you actually start dating women. So, that is an issue. I mean, for a lot of straight people, it's actual behavior that is important--it doesn't matter so much to them what your feelings are as who you actually have sex with or date. So to them, if you are dating a guy, and have always dated guys, your bisexuality doesn't seem meaningful.

They're wrong, of course. But you may have to convince them that it matters that you are bisexual, even if you never date a girl.

---------- Post added 8th Jun 2012 at 11:52 PM ----------

And Welcome to Empty Closets!

4. madi

thank you so much for your advice and support. It was nice to have someone who understands my feelings. I told them and feel so much better. They were accepting and I am so happy that I have loving open-minded parents.