1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking you for granted.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ruralteen, Jun 9, 2012.

1. ruralteen

Out Status:
    All but family
    This may sound like kind of a rant, but I just really hate this feeling. Like I feel like people take advantage of me because they know i'll do a good job, and always say yes to community service. I've done a lot to give back and for positive public relations. In my high school, i'm the only people that identifies as not heterosexual. Literally, the only person out. It sucks

I went back to my old school to see a play tonight (30 minutes away), and it was awesome. Not just the play but like people came up and talked to me, and showed interest. And this school is so much more liberal, it seems like everyone is out. Guys in drama, on the football team, in no sports, etc. The size difference is only 400 vs. 500 students.

They talked to me like I was a normal person, and I know wouldn't go around my (captain's) back at practice to ask one of the girls if I was gay. I don't want to be self-centered, but I feel like people have just taken me for granted over time.

I'm leaving for Europe on Friday for a month, and we'll see what things are like when I come back. I've been the only (out of five) cross country captains to show up and run summer practices, I guess it's their loss.

Do you guys ever feel, or get, this way? What can I do to change things? I don't want to transfer my senior year, and even if I did I would lose my IHSA eligibility.

2. RealityCheck

I have a hard time not helping someone in need. I stop for people stranded on the roads when I'm able, help elderly people, do things for friends all the time. Sometimes I do reflect and think that my actions are never reciprocated by anyone. I just moved to a large city and the attitudes here are very different. I've changed my personality a little since moving here before I do things like give money to a homeless person (or buy them a meal or whatever). Being here, I feel like everywhere I turn someone is trying to take advantage of me. It's like there are tons of con artists here. I really have to watch myself since I'm so sympathetic to others.

Your situation is a little different. I think it's clear that what is probably best for you is to stay where you are and continue your eligibility. I think you should measure the value you get out of each project, obligation, or event you spend your energy on and weed out the ones that aren't worth it to you. Look to maybe replace those with better options. Maybe it is even just hanging out with some of those cool people you met at the other school.